Racks...shelves for assembled models in vehicles...suggestions?

Started by Wingnutz, December 30, 2012, 12:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

Since it's a build project I think it fits here. Since it's really not about Michael's Bronco (the quote is from his Bronco build thread), I didn't want to divert that thread...
Quote from: Michael on December 30, 2012, 10:33:52 AM
It's actually not so difficult to assemble; I've labeled all the wires.

However, it will come to the field assembled.  ;D
52" (or bigger) models eat up the cargo area on most vehicles pretty quickly which leads to the solution of stacking the models vertically or "racking" them so you can manage to take more than one or two to the field with the models assembled.
A few TEMAC members have built shelves or racks for the back of vehicles and I'd love to see/find out about what others have built before I try to build my own...I'm building for the cargo area of a small SUV...anything about matrials, removability of the rack system, stopping annoying travel squeaks...appreciated...
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

eric

Hi Bill!

I bought a 4' x 8' piece of peg board and cut it to fit my cargo area. Its ringed underneath around the edges by 2" x 2" boards, plus one across the centre, which makes the whole thing plenty rigid. I use PVC pipe end caps screwed to the 2" x 2"s, one on each corner, and then cut PVC pipes to a length that split the space in two, making for double the planes I can carry. These PVC pipes simply push into the end caps and the weight of the shelf holds them perfectly still. Enclosed is a picture of the simple landing gear chocks I made showing both sides. One side has velcro (hook part) that sticks to the rug on the bottom and the other side has 2 screws spaced so that they clip into the peg board on top. You can place them anywhere you want to accommodate different models.

I also use more PVC pipe, with bungie cords going through, stretched from hand hold to hand hold across the roof, front and back. This traps my wings which are encased in thick vapour barrier plastic wing bags. I've had as many as 8 planes in my Matrix at one time, and with the wings trapped against the roof and the wheels resting in the chocks, I've never had the slightest bit of hanger rash on any of my models.

You can also see in the picture a dowel with a piece of music wire stuck through. This also fits in a peg board hole and is used to trap tail wheels (one either side) or to hold in position glider cradles when the model doesn't have landing gear.

Hope this long winded message helps. See you at the next indoor! Maybe we'll escape the wrath of the Beasts, etc., now that we have our own time slot!

Eric

Wingnutz

Eric,
Enjoyed the info. Your use of pegboard has me thinking. Alas, I will miss the next couple of indoors as I'm recovering from a knee replacement and I'm trundling around with a walker for now. See you soon.
Bill
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Papa

Hi Eric and Bill, a couple of years ago I saw that Andre had a great idea to stop rolling wheels. He had dimpled foam, like acoustic foam, on the bed of his pickup and that seemed to work really well. At least I thought it a very clever idea.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

eric

Hi Bill;

Hope all goes well and you'll be up and running around real soon.

Eric