HBZ4900 Micro Champ RTF 2.4GHz

Started by BobbyW, July 30, 2013, 09:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyW

I couldn't find a specific thread dedicated to the HobbyZone Champ, so I thought I'd start one here just in case I need some pointers or help.

My very first R/C plane is now on order and should be here within the next couple days... I can't wait :-)
Aerofly 5 R/C Flight Simulator for Mac
E-flite Apprentice S 15e RTF
HobbyZone Micro Champ RTF
Spectrum DX8

thehaze

Ahh the Champ is a nice docile little plane. For success please note that this plane flies best when the air is calm. Don't try to fly it in any sort of wind.

Have fun!
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

BobbyW

So noted, Mike. Thanks

The plan will probably be to fly (or attempt to fly) early in the morning and early evening... usually quite calm during those time periods down here in Niagara.
Spectrum DX8

Wingnutz

In light winds, it'll be easiest to handle on low rates and at half throttle. Maintain lots of altitude and if things get out of control, throttle off and the model is so light, it's unlikely to get damaged as long as you're on soft grass. Whatever else, follow the third commandment at TEMAC...have fun!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

BobbyW

Micro Champ is here. Picked it up yesterday at the post office, on my way to baseball. Really screwed up my back somehow, running the bases and pretty well immobile today, so I guess I'll actually have to read the manual now  :o
Spectrum DX8

BobbyW

HobbyZone Champ RTF now in the hanger... awaiting bad back issues to subside, before attempting first flight. In the meantime, I've got my MAAC membership in order.
Spectrum DX8

BobbyW

First R/C solo...

Finally got over back issues and this morning finally took HZ Champ for a couple of flights. I found a park five minutes from home, with a cricket field and a baseball field. Although hand launching was primarily used, last night's rain made take off from the cricket pitch and the baseball infield, quite possible.

The light breeze made handling difficult enuff to preclude trying to hit the narrow pitch, but landing on the diamond was accomplished... more or less :-)

I used up two batteries before the breezes became too much to handle.

What a blast!
Spectrum DX8

piker

It's great to hear you're having fun with the Champ, Bobby.  I hope you'll come out to the TEMAC Fun Fly in a couple of weeks (less than a couple of weeks actually).

Robert

BobbyW

Robert... I'd love to come out for the next TEMAC fun fly, but that weekend is playoffs for our softball team... maybe next time.
Spectrum DX8