X-Plane build thread

Started by Ededge2002, February 06, 2014, 11:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Your cooling system is similar to what I plan to do on the NorthStar. Cool air comes in on the top of the fuselage behind the battery hatch and exits through a low pressure area in the nose. I would use ducted air to ensure it gets to the ESC's and battery I won't do it until after the maidens in case cooling is not required.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Wildmieze

It's really impressive what you build there!  :o ;D

Ededge2002

Quote from: Wildmieze on February 09, 2014, 10:39:06 AM
It's really impressive what you build there!  :o ;D

Thank you but I can not take the credit for the fabrication of the airframe.  It is a molded airframe hand made buy a guy in the US.  The little pieces and hardware to put it together are ALL custom though and take a considerable amount of time and thinking to modify.  Sometimes a clevis isn't just a clevis!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Ededge2002

Top drive servos:

Some pictures of my top drive servo install.  Lots of little work.  Lots of head scratching.  Lots of squinting.  Lots of SATISFACTION!

The hinges are built into the wing of this plane and all surfaces on the wing are hinged at the bottom.  Wipers close the gap and leave a very low drag shape despite aileron/flap deflection.  The goal of this type of linkage is to limit the amount of drag we add with linkages hanging out in the breeze.  Slots are cut in the top of the wing trailing edge to pass through the links to the open bays below.  The flap or aileron has its wiper trimmed to clear the link and a slot is cut for the control horn.  As shown in the previous post the links have to be totally modified with an arc cut to clear the servo and the threaded portion cut back slightly.  The threaded piece less than 1/2" long is soldered into one of the links so it wont vibrate out and the other will be locked with ca.  The linkage is VERY short and direct leaving almost no play.  The horns are glued inside the moving surface and also a web is built up around the top of the surface.  The servos have a very short horn and are mounted so they push surfaces down.  The wires will be run inside and soldered to a single plug later but I taped the covers on to give the idea of how clean this ends up being.

sihinch

Looks incredibly intricate and very precise.

Congrats Ed.

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Ededge2002

Elevator servo install:

I soldered more wire to the servo to make it reach the area the RX will be and made up the horn for the elevator.  2.5mm G10 again glued to both surfaces with a filet inside.  The pushrod is very short and when you position the servo provides a straight line to the horn.  Very solid and no play can be detected.  I used a threaded pushrod then once set up I flowed in some thin CA on the threads to make it locked.  The stabilizer is removable with just two screws.

I took some time and installed the motor and esc that was previously soldered together and installed the prop...  Temptation took over and I checked everything over a second time and decided to do a little motor run with 4S.  The data log is attached but for those unaware the Castle Ice series are known to show 10% or so higher amp readings than actual. 

(1040Watts 75.7Amps 13.7Volts 9395Rpm at prop)

Ededge2002

As my plane is completed and Simon was impressed with my build he asked me to build his.  He dropped the plane and equipment off tonight and I went through the parts in preparation. 

http://youtu.be/nZlDyQF60cM

sihinch

battlestu

Simon please say it's the plane getting you worked up  :o

And Ed be careful not to attach the prop yet .... Little Ed will be thankful
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Frank v B

Back to the cooling issue. 
On keel sailboats the dorade cooling vents are at the front of the boat and face backward, not forward to suck out the cabin air.  Air inside a boat always flows from the back (main entrance hatch) to the front of the boat even when you are sailing into the wind.  I guess the same thing with a plane.  Hard to misinterpret the direction of the airflow when the smoke goes forward.

Using this logic the vents on a plane should be at the front of the nose with the opening face backwards, not forward.

Yes Andy, I'll shut up now. :D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Gee!  How did I get involved in this thread???!!  :D

piker

Ooooooo... I'm looking forward to THIS build thread  :-*

battlestu

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on February 27, 2014, 08:17:52 AM
Gee!  How did I get involved in this thread???!!  :D

how can you not comment on this :)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"