ballast

Started by eric, May 02, 2014, 07:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric

I know this is an aircraft club, but I was wondering if any members are into RC boats? My brother bought an RC trawler and sent me the picture. My wife, seeing it, said, "Oh, I guess that means you'll be buying one too so you can play toy boats with your brother". I took that to mean, go ahead, so i did!

I purchased a completed Stirling kit of an American Scout, a cargo ship which was built in the early 1940's. The seller built it in 1975 for an elderly relative who sailed it 4 times, then became seriously ill. The boat came back to the builder, who had it in his basement for nearly 40 years. It may be old, with ancient electrics, but its in beautiful shape. I've converted it to 2.4 Ghz and have it ready for sailing, save for one problem.

My question: it needs at least 12 pounds of ballast to bring it down to its painted waterline. Does anyone know where I can buy loose lead or steel shot? I tried a gun shop, but they only had shotgun shells, no loose shot. Small ball bearings would work, I guess, but I'm thinking 12 pounds of them would be expensive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as everything I know about boats I picked up the last few days off the internet. This makes me just knowledgeable enough to be dangerous. Below are 2 shots of the model.

Thanks!

Eric

sihinch

I can't help with your question but that's a beautiful model. Wow!

battlestu

Would a couple of small free weights fit?
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

eric

Thanks for the suggestion. If push comes to shove, I may do that and build compartments in the bottom to hold them securely. I was given a few lead bars with the boat, but I'm worried about waves causing the boat to rock, the weights shifting and the model turning turtle. Lead shot fits in small baggies - I have 3 lbs of shot in 1 lb baggies from an exercise belt, and they conform to the ship's bottom contours and don't move. I just got an e-mail from another fellow saying he uses the small lead weights that wheel alignment shops use to balance car rims. Maybe I'll go scrounging about.

Thanks again,

Eric

Papa

You can make shaped moulds out of carved oak or plaster of Paris that conform to the bottom of the hold and make shaped weights. I have an old pot i bought in value village to melt the lead. If you use plaster make sure it has completely dried (in the oven at 100* for an hour or so). If not your lead will explode and that's painful.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Frank v B

Eric,

Go to your friendly car shop and see if they have collected the tire balance weights they cut off when they replace tires.  I have gotten several pounds that way.  I also bought a few pounds of large ball bearings as ballast just in case I need more.  You can have the ball bearings (clean, still bagged, bought at Lee Valley Tools).

I know your feeling.  Four years ago I was given a 48" tug boat with twin 12 volt motors (single shaft) from an estate.  It is huge and came with 38 pounds (!!!) of lead shot ballast in small bags in a separate container to get it down to the water line. Total weight is 49 pounds! Have never sailed it.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

eric

Thanks, Frank! I'll take you up on that offer of the ball bearings. I went to 2 wheel alignment shops today and they both said they saved their used wheel weights and got money for them. When I offered to buy some they declined; too much trouble for them. I'll keep trying, though. I never thought this model boat thing was going to be so much hassle.

Eric

piker

Hey Frank!  Wanna sell that tug?   :)

Frank v B

Eric,

I will bring the ball bearings to the field Monday.

Piker,  re: "Wanna sell that tug ?"

Nah!  A good friend gave it to me when he was handling the estate so I can't sell it in good conscience and I can't let it just sit there without floating it.  Sometime this summer I'll "float my boat".  Once I get it going I should bring it out to FB... and Eric can bring out his Scout.  Hell, I may have just found the incentive to get going on it.  Thanks Piker!  :D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Papa

With a fishing line and a tennis ball we could have a plane recovery vehicle for those good days at FB when Robert's working in the wind tunnel????

Jack.

A motto to live by:

eric

Thanks , Frank! Who'd a thunk that it would be so hard to find lead? You used to be able to get all kinds of it for free, businesses were happy just to get rid of it.

See you tomorrow.

Eric

Papa

You'll have to find a church roof like everyone else. LOL

jack.
A motto to live by:

Papa

Actually you could dismantle and old car battery. You would have to flush it well and neutralise any acid residue. I think baking soda will do that. You could cut off the outer case with with a skill saw and find lots of lead.

[/size]Battery acid is neutralized by one part water and three parts baking soda. Do not allow the battery acid to come into contact with skin. Mix up the baking soda and water to form a paste and generously cover the surface where battery acid needs to be removed. Use a hard bristle brush of some sort to scrub in the paste avoiding contact with skin. Once battery acid is cleaned up rinse away with water.

[/size]Jack.

A motto to live by:

eric

Wow, thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I was a little leery of playing about with melting lead and playing with acid but was up for it if necessary. Fortunately, I took my car in for a check and managed to cadge 18 pounds of used lead wheel balancing weights. I divided them up into 1 pound baggies and got the boat balanced just right. Now its time to see if it'll sail as good as it looks.

Eric