Winter? Build...Avro Anson

Started by Wingnutz, December 27, 2015, 05:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

Andy, Rob, thanks for your prompt efforts to enlighten me. I am still confused.

Airfieldmodels is clear about NOT measuring under the deepest part of the wing, but from "centreline to centreline"...sounds simple, but exactly what is meant by centreline??? Root chord to tip chord???

If I understand Rob's answer,
Quote from: piker on January 30, 2016, 09:22:15 PM
I would always measure under the lowest point as compared to the lowest point at the root, resting on the bench.  I think your plan is showing at the LE , only as a clear way to show at which rib the height should be measured.
I should measure under the deepest part of the wing....
In the end,it's probably most important I measure the same way the guy who drew the plans did, or...hope Avro's dihedral will work on a 1/8 scale model...
I've included a couple of three views...if they're accurate, my wings are going to look scale, the way they are...but will the model be stable?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

OOOHHHH...  I missed that...

O.K.  Sounds like they want you to draw a straight line front the centre of the LE to the centre of the TE, on both the root rib, or at the rib where the dihedral bend is, to the tip rib that they show as the measuring point.  Then figure out the dihedral relationship based on that line.  I assume the wing is shimmed up to make those lines parallel to the building board.

The easiest way to do that would be to measure from that line on the root rib, to the building board, then add that measurement to the amount that is to be added at the rib and the result is the amount the centre line of the root rib needs to be from the bench.

Am I right?

Wingnutz

Quote from: piker on January 31, 2016, 12:37:50 AM
OOOHHHH...  I missed that...

O.K.  Sounds like they want you to draw a straight line front the centre of the LE to the centre of the TE, on both the root rib, or at the rib where the dihedral bend is, to the tip rib that they show as the measuring point.  Then figure out the dihedral relationship based on that line.  I assume the wing is shimmed up to make those lines parallel to the building board.

The easiest way to do that would be to measure from that line on the root rib, to the building board, then add that measurement to the amount that is to be added at the rib and the result is the amount the centre line of the root rib needs to be from the bench.

Am I right?
Rob,
Again thanks for your input. As an inexperienced builder, I am always grateful when experienced builders make time to help those of us who are struggling.
"Am I right?"
Sure seems right to me...the measurements pencilled on the plan in my last photo were all measured from the building board. I measured from the LE as I wasn't sure how washout should be factored in to the measurement if I measured at mid chord...measururing at mid chord will be pretty tough as I've cut lightening holes there in every rib anyway!
Way back in the wing assembly cogitation process I figured that sooner or later I would need lines on each rib from the centre of the LE to the centre of the TE and carefully marked every rib before assembly. These chord lines will help me shim the wing to get both the desired dihedral and washout.
Dihedral
Last night I figured out why the dihedral was off from the plan recommendation. Laying a straight edge along the top of the main spars was revealing...without any glue, the spars were bending under the weight of the wing structure, as my blocking only went to rib 14.
So, blocked the tip ribs to straighten the spars and guess what! Measuring Rob's way, dihedral is now the recommended 70mm!
Washout
I have blocked the wing, so the chord lines on rib 1s are parallel to the building surface. Plan is to block the structure so chord lines on rib 6s are also parallel to the building surface and start the washout from rib 6, increasing to 2 degrees (or something close) at the tip (rib 20). Once everything's blocked and straight...GLUE!  :o I'm thinking my trusty white glue as it gives lots of time to move stuff around before it's stuck.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!