Workbench / construction space.

Started by VadimKirillov, May 26, 2020, 10:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Vadim,

Had to laugh when you wrote about the device on the ceiling.  It is a TV antenna that works.  It gets me 6 channels on the TV Bruce gave me three years ago through the Secret Santa gift exchange at the Temac Christmas meeting.  This antenna was bought at Lee Valley and it includes the extension kit.  It was the place where it seemed to get the most channels.

Why did I laugh when I read it?  It reminded me of this Mr Bean Episode (run time 2minutes 10 seconds).  It is what I went through to find the correct place to mount it.

Frank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoDXyfAUBQc
"Never trade luck for skill"

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?

davidk

Quote from: Gil.E on May 28, 2020, 08:36:18 PM

Step 1: Divide and sort all your components, tools, items, and objects into 3 categories:  The big, small, and the medium size thingies in between your max/min points.

Step 2: Go online and shop for clear plastic drawer/cabinets and clear plastic "showbox" style containers to match the three size categories in step 1. Use a private non-spousal  credit card (the one you use to order models with).

Note: Make sure the boxes have strong hard lids, are clear to see through, and most importantly are Stackable. "Stack-ability" ensures future growth of your hoarding habits, while optimizing use of all available space.     

Step 3: Get a label maker. Go crazy with labeling all your new drawers, boxes, and compartments.     

Step 4: (optional – for the serious type): In case the number of components/tools/items/objects under your watch exceed your mental capacity to manage it, use or customize simple database program to keep track of what you have, how much you have, and where to find it in the odd case you actually need to retrieve it from your array of 3000 clear plastic compartments.

Happy Building & Good Luck!

Attached are some examples of my drawer collections...

Well... this explains why I can't find any unique size screws, bolts, t-nuts, etc, etc etc in Canada.  :D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on May 28, 2020, 09:20:41 PM
Vadim,

re: "Frank's collection of 72kHz radios is mindblowing, one might think he was building an early warning nuclear missile detection radar during cold war.  8) ;D "

The photo shows two 72 meg transmitters and you are impressed? 

I took a photo for you of the opposite side of my workshop.  In the photo are 29 transmitters and only 5 are 2.4 gig.  There are 6 others transmitters on the shelf to the left (out of the picture).  Now you know where old 72 meg transmitters go to die. ;D  It is not a cold war missile detection system.  It is the entire DEW Line* system from Northern Canada. ;D ;D

Frank

* DEW line-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distant_Early_Warning_Line

@Frank v B 's 72 MHz collection is down by one.  Frank very kindly donated a vintage Airtronics Vanguard Channel 41 TX to my shop so I can harvest a couple of switches.  This TX is a real beauty: six channels, analog battery meter, and analog trim levers.  And it even comes with a custom hood ornament for the antenna.  Frank is clearly a connoisseur!

Thanks Frank!

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

Nice camera work.  The best Kodak Brownie photos I have seen in a long time. ;D ;D

Frank

Frank v B

Vadim,

This week's Princess Auto sale (June 23-July 5) has a set of 3 magnetic bars (8", 12", 18") for $9.99. Page 51 of the sales flyer.
You can pick yours up...after I get mine. ;D  Their sale stuff stock usually go quickly.

Frank

VadimKirillov

Hi Frank,
I followed your advice the first time and got magnetic tool strip on Amazon, actually two 24". though, this discount is very compelling, gotta restrain myself from buying things that I already have.
For the everyone else: magnetic tool bar is very useful to keep you tools close but off the table, let's be real you need MAGNETIC FORCE to keep your tools in a straight line.