BEST plane EVER?

Started by wollins, August 26, 2013, 09:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

So I'm looking at my current fleet of planes and have come to the realization that I don't have any planes that I really LOVE to fly! This got me to do some reminiscing ... which over the years was my best flying plane ever? 

Based on what I fly now, the answer was somewhat of a surprise! Why?  Cause anyone who's known me over the last few years know that I tend to fly bigger planes nowadays (when I do get out to fly) more often than not.  The average being 70+ inches. Having said that ... my best flying plane EVER was my 54" Hyperion Yak!

I remember being so comfortable with that plane I used to do down on the deck inverted circuits of the field, full on full throttle spins etc etc.  Basically I used to throw that plane around in the sky with no fear whatsoever.  That's because it went EXACTLY where you pointed it ... had tons of power, and was very predictable. My second best flyer was my little Hyperion Cap! All of 36 inches!  Same deal ... tons of power ... very precise ... strong/durable as an ox ... very predictable. Just a ton of fun to fly. 

So ... what's been YOUR best flying plane ever? :)

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

bfeist

It's funny that you've been thinking about this. I was thinking along the same lines at the funfly. I think I had more fun flying my Goldberg Mirage 550 than any other plane. I was just learning, then continued to fly it for years and years. Just seeing it fly was such a thrill (maybe because I built it from a kit). It was ugly, only had rudder and elevator controls, and was powered by 7 nicads with an geared .05 brushed motor, with a folding 11x7 prop.

It looked something like this, but with no wheels (because 14th ave field was so rough):

wollins

Really ... more than the Enigma? So ironic we have all these "fancy" planes now and look at our choices!  ;D

Colin

Quote from: bfeist on August 26, 2013, 10:59:17 AM
It's funny that you've been thinking about this. I was thinking along the same lines at the funfly. I think I had more fun flying my Goldberg Mirage 550 than any other plane. I was just learning, then continued to fly it for years and years. Just seeing it fly was such a thrill (maybe because I built it from a kit). It was ugly, only had rudder and elevator controls, and was powered by 7 nicads with an geared .05 brushed motor, with a folding 11x7 prop.

It looked something like this, but with no wheels (because 14th ave field was so rough):
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Gregor77

My best would have to be the eflite SE5a.

battlestu

my old parkzone Spitfire was a blast
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Ededge2002

I keep looking at this post trying to figure what to put.  Trouble is and I think its part of my addiction is that I like them all!!  (insert evil laugh here!)

There have been planes that I have flown the glue out of but the list is quite long.  I research and build what I want. Guess I have been lucky enough to come up with some good combinations through research that provide the entertainment I desire.  I think the thing is with the radios and power systems available these days any model can be made to fly well.  In the old days (yes im dating myself) we didn't have the flexibility of the radios to get them to accomplish great tasks like they can now.  I swear with some radio tweaking you can transform a tough to fly model into a dream flyer. I think this might be a possible good topic of a thread about how these super radios we all have now can make our workload and planes fly better!   
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

Ed, I think that's an awesome idea, to start a radio programming thread.

People could add tips and techniques that they have used to overcome flight problems. It could be simple fixes like rates and expo through to mixes and curves (whatever they are?)

As for which plane I love to fly....I think I'm lucky because right now I'd say my Nooner and Reverb.  That's not to say I could fly them better than I currently do, but I enjoy every flight with both planes.

I also have been enjoying the E-Flite Cessna 150 Aerobat. It's so light and scale-like. Completely opposite to the Nooner and Reverb. It has power, but only enough!

battlestu

Quote from: sihinch on August 31, 2013, 01:30:30 PM
Ed, I think that's an awesome idea, to start a radio programming thread.

People could add tips and techniques that they have used to overcome flight problems. It could be simple fixes like rates and expo through to mixes and curves (whatever they are?)

+1 to that idea!!... looking at building a twin and would like to mix in some differential thrust and lose the water rudder
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Bigstik

Great idea. I have a fairly new DX8 and I find it a lot easier to get around than my previous 9303, but there's so much to learn about them. Somebody should offer some sort of course of coarse.

Bigstik
Bigstik

Papa

Maybe we could ask Pat to be the moderator, he has a very sensitive BullS**t monitor???

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

pmackenzie

Quote from: jabiggerstaff on September 01, 2013, 06:33:53 PM
Great idea. I have a fairly new DX8 and I find it a lot easier to get around than my previous 9303, but there's so much to learn about them. Somebody should offer some sort of course of coarse.

Bigstik

I am surprised by that, 9303 is IMO a much more capable radio than the DX8.
They did just recently add glider programming to the DX8, so at least it has that now.

I set up a DLG for a guy with a DX8 about a month ago.
Overall it feels like a stripped down version of the 9303 programming, with a considerably poorer user interface.
Never did figure out how to do camber trim using the trim buttons at the top of the radio, something that the 9303 does perfectly with zero programming required.

9303/9503 will do just about anything you would ever need that takes 9 servos. I would recommend it over the DX8 every time.

I might be biased of course  :), been using the 9303 for a long time now.
I have three of them, two XP9303 with Frsky modules for my gliders and a X9303 for my indoor stuff, helis and 3D models. 

I have used other guys DX6,DX7 and now the DX8. The JR programming heritage is very clear.
Futaba is quite a different beast, as is the Airtronics.

But if you have a clear grasp of what is required then it is fairly quick to figure out what needs to be done.
Easier in person with the radio in your hand than on line though.

Pat MacKenzie