Ryerson U. visits our field- heavy lift

Started by Frank v B, March 22, 2015, 07:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

We had 11 Ryerson students and one Ryerson instructor visit the TEMAC  field today in an attempt to maiden two heavy lift airplanes. One for a contest in California and one for a PHD thesis. Your club was ably represented by Graham McN. and dis-ably represented by yours truly.

The wind was from the north at a gusty 15 km/h, the temperature was a chilly minus 4C (as opposed to a warm minus 4C :) ).  The planes were about 7 foot span but are now electric.  The standard used to be an un-altered OS .61.  The limit is 1000 watts.  These were powered by Scorpion motors on 6 cells.

They looked gangly because of the short nose and short tail moment.  They did not fly because of assorted RC problems (blown ESC, blown BEC, poor motor connections).  The students will be back... probably next weekend.

We stood back and talked to the instructor.  It was their project.  The rules state that if a team is aided by an experienced modeller during the design and build phase, the team will be disqualified.

Graham and I were at the field for 4 hours and no sign of S'noBalls.  We were soooo disappointed.

Graham took some photos.  Hope he will post them.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

pmackenzie

Cool. How did they find/choose the club?

Must take a lot of self restraint not to jump in an help out.

Papa

The club has quietly, with Bramalea, helped the Aerospace program with instruction and other support for three years. When they asked if we had somewhere they could fly it seemed natural to offer Rogo Field. Besides the Heavy Lift Rules now are electric!

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"