Float flying - July 14

Started by Michael, June 08, 2019, 04:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuke

My Timber came in damaged and Zoom Room returned it. I will not be going to the float fly

Frank v B

Jim (Canuke),

You don't need an airplane to have fun!  Borrow mine.

If you can't show up, Bruce and I will be fighting over your hot dogs, chips and drinks. ;D  Help keep the peace. ;)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

We had a great visit with the Beeton Club.  Perfect weather.  Sunny, (no snow) warm and an onshore breeze that pushed airplanes into the pit area.
Temac was represented by Bruce, Peter, Craig Campbell, Carlos, Richard, Gerald "Scorch" Danen, Ken Rawlins and yours truly.

About 30 people in total.  Temac brought the hot dogs, buns, condiments and drinks.  Gerald tackled the BBQ workload.

The photos:
88- Rudie and Rick test running a twin cylinder engine.
89- Richard concentrating on his plane
93- Richard doing DX programming duties on Barry's plane.
94- The Beeton Pow-Wow held by Rudie.  That's (l to r) Shawn, Frank, Steve, Chris, Scott.
95- Rudie Nagelmakers managing a smile with Scott.
96- Beeton boys Shawn, Steve and Chris
97- Scorch Danen at work.  He BBQ'd 60 dogs with just the perfect amount of carbon on each dog.
98- More Beeton Boys..... Frank and John.
99- What happens when you drop a tube steak off the BBQ.  Mitsy grabs it.  To heck with the 5 second rule.
00- Craig and Bruce
01- Peter and his Seawind Float plane before the accidental nose job.
03- Bruce, Ken and Peter flying
04- the Beeton Navy doing retrieval duties.  Rudie operating the bow turret and Ensign Chris handling the propulsion system.  Note: electric!!
06- Rick Byers before a flying session with his Polaris.
13- Bruce's Icon

They promised to have us back next year.

Frank

davidk

The Beeton Navy... that's excellent.

Did everyone's floats do their job?

bweaver

@davidk - Everyone's floats did their job, whether they were on the water, in the air, or you guess where.  Even Carlos flew off water with his plane and landed it again successfully on the pond with the plane in its correct orientation. Considering how many of us turned turtle, Carlos was exceptionally successful considering it was his first float fly.

Regarding @Frank v B 's comment about it being an 'on shore breeze';  it is a pond, regardless which way the wind is blowing, it is always going to be an on shore breeze.  For that matter there will always be an off shore breeze there as well. Go figure  ???

A nice breeze it was mind you.  Scorch (Gerrald) did a great job of BBQing and Frank did a great job of organizing.

The Beeton gang were wonderfully hospitable and efficient when it came to aircraft recovery.   They have a fantastic float flying site which we were so fortunate to be invited to. Thanks so much... I think speaking for all the TEMAC members that attended, we had a great time.   8)

Palkina

It was a great experience. Thank you Beeton Club for the opportunity and support.
Thank you Frank for the trimming and advice. Thank you Bruce, Richard for the support.

Gerald Danen

It was a great day.  Thanks to the Beeton club for hosting a wonderful event.  A few photos for y'all to enjoy...
"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."

bweaver

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: your comment
"Regarding @Frank v B 's comment about it being an 'on shore breeze';  it is a pond, regardless which way the wind is blowing, it is always going to be an on shore breeze.  For that matter there will always be an off shore breeze there as well. Go figure  ???"

Two comments:

1) On-shore is relative to the shore you are standing on or sailing towards.  I know you never know where you are going to land so you probably consider any shore part of your landing pattern. :D
2) On a macro scale, every ocean on earth is circled by shores or ice* and has always been since man walked the earth.... according to your thought process there can never be an "on-shore" or "off-shore" breeze.  Try to explain that one to Chris Columbus, Sam Champlain, Captain Jim Cook, etc. who used winds to their advantage on a global scale.  ;) 8)

Frank (Who else?)

* before you say it, please consider the Straits below South America and South Africa as very big and wild river inlets. 

bweaver

@Frank v B regarding your comment (about my comment); "according to your thought process there can never be an "on-shore" or "off-shore" breeze."

First you assumed I had a 'thought process'. Katie said you give me far too much credit. Thank you. 

Secondly, I stated - "it is a pond, regardless which way the wind is blowing, it is always going to be an on shore breeze.  For that matter there will always be an off shore breeze there as well. Go figure  ??? " 

This makes me wonder how your thought process came to the conclusion that according to my thought process there can never be an on-shore or off-shore breeze.

Even with what limited thought processes I may have, I would never have come to that conclusion.  Based on your comment and your conclusions, that obviously means you were in agreement with me from the start and I didn't even have to expand the scale of my logic from beyond a pond, to oceans, rivers, straights, ice and what have you. 

Blame it on 'climate change' and be done with it.  :D

Frank v B

Look who I am having an argument with*.  How can anyone but his dogs take this man seriously. ;D ;D

Photo of Lawrence of Temacia as taken by Roger That Mason.  Photo of Bruce hard at work.**

Frank

* I know Mr Hoffer, the proper English sentence would be "Look with whom I am arguing".  You can't end a sentence with a preposition. ;)
** yes, I am jealous.

bweaver

And if you notice, I am the only one flying... now you can really be jealous.  The sky was to myself. 

The gang in the background should try this trick rather than huddling together under a 3' umbrella.  At one point while everyone was in the huddle the accumulated heat below created a thermal which caused their shade to fly away.

PS I was flying an electric glider which didn't take too much 'work', but resulted in plenty of enjoyment.