Let's Kick winter to the curb! Sunday March 15, 2020, 1 pm. "FRAIDENFEST"

Started by Frank v B, March 12, 2020, 08:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Some of us have had enough of winter so lets kick it to the curb..... again (3rd annual).

I will be at Tim's Woodbine by noon on Sunday, then do the drive of shame to Rogo Field for 1 pm to meet Alex and the Ryerson boys for their training session.  Their set-up is elaborate so most of the time will be required to set up the ground station and ready the airplane.  There will be lots of time to fly.

Come join us.  Rob D., Glenn and Bruce will attempt to drop by.  Calling Andy H. ;D  I will attempt to maiden my new little build class plane (don't want to print the name so Bruce will stop giggling) and maybe my WarWing. DavidK will be there in spirit.

Please be careful on the driveway.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

I'm going to come and maiden some new planes! A new Bixler 1.1 and a Skylark F3a foamie.

Plus I really want to see the Ryerson team and project.

davidk

I'll be flying on Sunday... and thinking of you guys... only 1700km away.  Have fun.

bweaver

I've been concentrating on the weather.  At this point, this is what it is looking like for Sunday afternoon.  ;)

The wind conditions being high over the next two days helps with the spring drying out process.

Remember when you come out to the field before it is really dry, do your best to avoid damaging the field and making ruts...  It's easy to get yourself into one, so think about it before moving forward. :-\

Frank v B

Bruce is working hard on the weather, as he always does. 

Two things to keep in mind:
- the caffeine top-up at Tim's happens regardless of the weather... whether Bruce (partially) fails* or fully succeeds.
- participation at Rogo Field has been limited to 250 people as the Chief Medical officer of Toronto as just announced... as I write this.   ;D ;D ;)

Frank

* Bruce is only human... or so I am told.   ;D ;D

BJROB

I'm thinking that we might get shut down.... ???
As there is a ton of people that want to see Frank's finally finished WarWing fly... :o
Maybe not it's not painted yet...  :-[
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Frank v B

Just got a call from Alex of Ryerson that they will not be coming tomorrow. He did not sound well except I can't tell the difference between an illness and a hangover. ;D

So tomorrow will now become FRAIDENFEST. (Frozen MaidenFest)

I am bringing the Warwing and the Joy Stick.  Rob D. will try to maiden his mini Ugly Stick.  Hope Simon H. is still on with his two new planes.  Bruce will try to be there to coach me on flying the Warwing....into the ground.  Bruce was the person who asked me to paint the plane with lead paint...four coats. ;)

12:00 at Tim's Woodbine.  Be there!  Attendance will be taken (photographically). ;)

Frank

ps: DavidK, the news this morning stated that all Canadians abroad should return home while they can.  If you leave now, you can make Fraidenfest. 8) or we will see you at Bruce's Cub Day event. (July 1)

sihinch

davidk

A very good start to "our" Fraidenfest... plus... the outlook for the day... and... the saddest palm tree I've seen.
This will be my last day flying here as I'm hoping to get home on Thursday... if Canada stays open.

Michael

10 members showed up, and there was lots of flying: maidens, aerobatics, leisure flights, some crashes, and lots of fun. It was a bit cold, the sky was bright and blue, wind was mostly light and generally from the north.

The ground is soft and mushy. We were able to drive in and park, but things may get more difficult as the weather warms.

Michael

bweaver

Great suggestion @Frank v B  for kicking winter to the curb!

It was nice to see all of those who could make it out.  A lot of restraint on handshakes mind you, which is a good thing.

Just one photo  below of the parking lot and a couple of flyers including our current and past presidents.

Every one keep well, keep smiling and was your hands...

Frank v B

Great Day!!!

Here are the photos:

Photo 19- Simon preparing his household blender quad for a maiden.
Photo 20- Yep, the reflection in his glasses is me taking the picture.
Photo 21- Michael prepping his Turbo Timber on 3 cell 5,000 mah. for a 5 hour mission.
Photo 22- No Mark, not that switch!  Maidening Mark's Foam cup Warwing.
Photo 23- Mark has settled into flying and Bruce has settled into what he does best... and flying.
Photo 24- Loi working with 5 minute epoxy after the ground grabbed the landing gear.
Photo 25- The Rogo twins... from different mothers.
Photo 26- Rob and his "Ugly Joy Stick".  A great maiden.  We got Rob's smiler fixed in time for the other photos.
Photo 27- Rob prefers this to self isolation.
Photo 30- Rob and the other guy with the two Joy Sticks.  Both maidens went very well.  Mine was only propped to 9 amps but flew great.  Will increase it to about 14.

Bruce excelled at the weather work.

Frank

Frank

msatin

Great fun today!
Thanks to Bruce for his help with my warwing - it flew 1st try (unlike my other past planes :))
You never fail until you stop trying

davidk

A beautiful day... north and south.  No wind today.
Among the notables are a Rutan Quickie, an SE5 and an A26 Invader.
And... my Maule... playin' with the big boys.

bweaver

No offense @octagon but if you have to work at it like that, I wouldn't try to squeeze one out!   :o