Building the Guillows B-25 (26.5" span, now 31") with RC and brushless motors.

Started by Frank v B, November 17, 2020, 10:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electroflyer

Frank v B

Thanks guys.  It was a fun build.  Tonight I will start the post on building the Guillow's DC-3 with a huge 34.5" wingspan.  Motors will be E-Flite 280's.  I ordered the ESC's today.  I already have the motors.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on January 08, 2021, 04:52:19 PM
Thanks guys.  It was a fun build.  Tonight I will start the post on building the Guillow's DC-3 with a huge 34.5" wingspan.  Motors will be E-Flite 280's.  I ordered the ESC's today.  I already have the motors.

Frank

Hi @Frank v B

Don't forget to install a sponge crash pad on the floor of your shop to handle any spar-with-innocent-mounted-motor impacts!  ;D

Andy

Frank v B

re: my earlier comment "I will use a Berg receiver, essentially an electronic wart on a wire and weighs next to nothing."

For those of you who missed RC's middle ages, below is a photo of a 4 channel Berg receiver next to a quarter.

F.

Frank v B

Maiden day: June 13, 2021

Tried 3 times to get it off the ground on our brand new runway.  All 3 times it broke ground and flew nicely but would not gain altitude.  I cut the throttle and ditched it slowly near the apron each time.  Suspect the plane was nose-heavy since full "up" elevator would not allow it to gain altitude.

Will make two adjustments-
i) move the CG back about 3/8"
ii) add more power via props that are about 1/2" greater in diameter.

Frank

Frank v B

Made the following adjustments:
- changed the props from 4.0"x2.5" to  4.5"x3"
- changed the servo output arm from a 2 hole to a 3 hole arm.
- swapped the location of the receiver and battery.  The RX is now in the nose, the battery as far back as possible.

Ready for attempt 2.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

GuyOReilly

TEMAC, June 20, 2021.
Photo #36 - @Frank v B fully charged.
Photo #38 - Where does this go?!?
Photo #45 - Two heads are better than one...
Photo #46 - Here we go.
Photo #47 - To please @Andy Hoffer , you can almost see the plane in the bottom right corner - also, I need to clean the lenses...

Video 1st Attempt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpnnP1oOE30

Video 2nd attempt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ANQHDKjdVs

Thank you for a fun afternoon.

Andy Hoffer

Hey @GuyOReilly

I love the warm and fuzzy UFO's  in photo #47.  People make too much of a fuss about sharply focused images!  ;D

And is that big dog whistle in @Frank v B 's mouth in photo #36?!!

Andy

Frank v B

The re-maiden went fine today.

- moved the CG rearward by moving the RX in front of the battery and upgrading the battery to 3S 250 mah from 180
- the prop diameter was increased by 1/2"
- re-set the servo arm to increase the elevator throw and give it more "down".

Did two circuits of the field and then landed with a nose-over.  Airplane in one piece.

Frank

Michael

Michael

Andy Hoffer

Here is the larger scale model!  ;D

Beautiful flying by @Frank v B !!

Andy