Prepping the new (old) Fokker E 3- 54" span

Started by Frank v B, July 08, 2021, 10:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Getting the Fokker E3 ready for a maiden.  This was an estate purchase about 3 years ago but have never had a chance to fly it.  Installed a Turnigy G10 with a 40 amp ESC, an 11x8 APC prop and a 3 cell 2200 mah battery.
Installed HS 81 rudder and elevator servos.  Note 3 channel, no ailerons.

It was beautifully built.  Plug-in wings.  It originally had a geared brushed motor in it.

Will try to maiden it this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Gregor77

Frank v B

It flew today.

The 2200 mah 3 cell battery did not work at the field.  It was toast so I replaced it with a 3 cell 1300.  The plane was significantly lighter in the nose.  Flew it anyway.

It took off fine, had lots of power and proper throws but it really flew like a tail-heavy airplane.  Hairy to say the least.  Trimmed it out at half throttle and decided not to push my luck.  The landing was fine.

It will be a nice flyer once a good 2200 mah battery is installed.
The reason nose weight is such an issue in WW1 airplanes is because they have very little fuselage ahead of the centre of gravity.  A scale airplane will almost always be tail heavy and will need nose weight.  That's why I installed a Power 10 because a 480 would have been just fine.  The Power 10 weighs much more and is far ahead of the CG for balance reasons.

Yes, it needs a wooden prop.  An APC is so not WW1.  :)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

Nice looking model, Frank.   ;D

The plane, not you!  ;)

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on July 12, 2021, 01:14:12 PM
Nice looking model, Frank.   ;D

The plane, not you!  ;)

I don't know... his knees don't look so bad!  ;D