Annual Report from the Special Events Director - 2013

Started by sihinch, December 05, 2013, 05:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

What a year we have experienced. The weather was not very cooperative but we adapted, we improvised and we overcame like the marines. This was the second year of our Mini Fun Fly experiment and we had expanded the involvement to include more members and encourage greater participation in our events. Some worked, others didn't. Next year we will try harder to meet the needs of the membership.

We had Warbirds, Jets Day, Speed Fest, Annual Fun Fly, Battle of Britain Day, and Skills Challenge. For next year I think we will limit it to four events, one a month. 

Warbirds and Jet's Day will, most likely, be combined with and additional emphasis on WW1. We will have more group or formation flying and possibly some simulated dog fights with appropriate aircraft.

The Annual Fun Fly will remain the way we currently run it but we want to raise the emphasis on the quality of the awards. With the amount of scratch building going on in the club we want to add some emphasis by way of recognition of this as a class in its own right. We would like to consider encouraging visitors to join us for this fun fly.

Speed Fest was a bust, so that one we won't try again for some time. It's my belief that it lacked sufficient appeal to enough members and the key is to make an event attractive to the greatest number of members. Niche classes won't cut it.

The Skills Challenge has proven to be the most popular of all our events. Next year I will have new challenges in addition to some favourites. This year we had 32 pilots who flew 76 flights.

If you have never attended a fun fly, for whatever reason, you have missed a great experience. Even as a spectator you can have fun and get involved. Come out and I'll get you doing stuff and have you involved in no time at all.

Piker Class TEMAC Team Racing was a wonderful experience. Great pilots, great racing and best of all great fun that is the story of 2013. This is not about elite members or extra skilled pilots. Most had never raced when we started but as time passed and they began to believe in themselves they showed amazing improvements in their times and pilot skills. Next year we will have more entrants and new planes, many own designs. We will spice things up with two relay races at the midpoint of the season and at the end. They will have more points available but they will only go to the team and not the individual pilot. We have lots of room if you'd like to give it a try.

Pilot's Meetings were a resounding success. We are getting 25% - 30% membership turnout. Proving once again that a large part of this hobby is the social aspects.  The management of the 3 Monkeys is very pleased with our presence. We do not plan any changes as the format seems to work for everyone. Drop in some time and check us out if you have not been to a meeting yet.

Scratch Building was a new experiment this year. I think it was very successful mainly due to the skills of Frank van Beurden. It evolved very differently from our original plan but we adapted on the fly and ended up with a handful of maidens that was most satisfying. We are planning a new build and are working on a new design. We will be meeting in the party room of Colonel Mustards on Hwy 7 at Ninth Line.

Indoor Dome Fly. We are starting up our Indoor flying again. Same team and the same fun. Sunday December 29, mark it on your calendar and start fixing your indoor models. Check out the Forum for more information.

MAAC Meetings I have been representing the club with other members of the Board at various MAAC events. Thank you to all who took the time to respond with your Proxy when requested. You have no idea how proud I am to represent you when I have the largest representation of any club. Your votes count.

TEMAC Tickler continues to be our communication vehicle of choice. It is well received by all and I hope to continue to make it timely and humorous. Send me any stuff you would like to share with fellow members. I'm particularly interested in any historic material from the early days of the club. The Tickler is actually the product of a number of club members. Ben Feist who runs such a fabulous website and always puts up with my lack of computer skills and patiently walks me through the solutions. Andy Hoffer and Greg Hazelton and all the others who send me photographs.

Thank You
to all the volunteers who came out and helped with events. Especially Greg Cadez who went above and beyond storing our supplies. Thank you to all who took the time to thank me for what little I do for the club. It's you who give me the strength and desire to continue to help the club move forward. Thank you to the Board for all your support and encouragement, it's great to get your input and cooperative involvement in running events for this club.

Jack Higgins.