Flying alone

Started by Canuke, March 16, 2023, 06:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuke

There are too many regulations to follow IMO. I understand you can't fly alone. If I am at the field alone in the morning who is going to report me? If someone else shows up I am then no longer alone?  I doubt someone driving  along the road is going to notice me and think they should call someone. You can't be the 1st or only person at the field, you then need to wait until someone else shows up to fly? Is this a MAAC or TEMAC rule? I am no longer smart enough to understand all the regulations. I have flown for 10 years without a problem I now am hesitant to continue this hobby.

Canuke

Sorry, just a follow up. The 2nd person arriving can't report me because then he would be alone and couldn't fly.
Back to square one. The rule makes no sense. He would stay and fly with me and then I wouldn't be alone. What am I missing about the rule.

GuyOReilly

And should the second person also fly, then there is no spotter for either of you...

sihinch

Sorry for the ignorance - what's driving this question? Is there something we can reference?

kmandjik

A big change in the Club's Field Rules reads as follows:

6. A Safety Spotter shall be designated by those flying at any time at TEMAC.  If the Safety Spotter leaves while others are still flying that Safety Spotter will designated another Safety Spotter to take over that role.  The Safety Spotter area in the Pits Area between the Setup Tables and the Pilot Stations.
7. The Safety Spotter shall use their voice for aural notifications.
The Safety Spotter will be directed to review Safety Procedures for Safety Spotting posted at the field.
8.The Safety Spotter will determine if the weather or visibility conditions preclude visual detection of approaching full-scale aircraft. MAAC stipulates a minimum of no cloud below 1000'AGL and a  horizontal visibility minimum of 3 statute miles.
Most of us read this as - you can't fly by yourself becuase a Safety Spotter is required if you are there to fly.

Canuke

Back to my earlier message. If I am there alone who is going to report me and who is going to care?  If there are 2 of us can one of us be a spotter and the other person fly or do we need 3 flyers?

davidk

The TEMAC Safety Rules were a bit in flux because of the current changes going on.

The Safety Spotter stuff was a MAAC invention, no longer needed, and have been removed.

Overall, we'll tidy things up once we get our SOC.

Canuke

Great. So you can go to the field and fly on your own before anyone else arrives. I wonder how long that rule will last.

davidk

I feel you're overthinking this.