Futura V3 and Reflex 2 and 6 Channel Rx

Started by davidk, March 16, 2023, 04:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

I don't want to use an 8 CH Rx in the Futura... it's a bit of a waste.  I'm using a Spektrum AR620.

I haven't build it yet, just testing the fuselage and watching what the Reflex V2 LED does.

All the cables in the Futura are labelled so all 6 ports on the Rx are filled.

When the Reflex V2 is booting, the LED is flashing really, really fast.

I did not plug in the SBUS\PPM Mode cable at all.  The Reflex was, by default, in Optimized Mode (AS3X) which is what I want - Flashing Rapidly.  To test this, I then powered down, unplugged the Flaps from Port 6, plugged the Mode cable into Port 6, and then in Channel Assign, I assigned Channel 6 to AUX2.  AUX2 is assigned to Switch B - a 3 position switch.  Then I powered up and I was able to change Modes.  Solid LED - Stabilized Mode (SAFE), Slow Flash - Gyro off, Rapid Flash - Optimized Mode (AS3X).

I left the Reflex in Optimized Mode, powered down, unplugged the Mode cable, plugged in the Flaps cable into Port 6, and changed my Channels, Port 6, back to Flaps.  When I powered up, Reflex was in Optimized Mode - Rapid Flash.

Next I unplugged the Mode cable from the Reflex, powered up and I was in Optimized Mode - Rapid Flash.  All good.

According to the manual, the Reflex is in Stabilized Mode (SAFE) by default... so I don't know why mine is not.  I may try another test where I put the Reflex into Stabilized Mode (SAFE) permanently.  Just want to make sure of stuff.

Next tests will be putting it together and ensuring I'm actually in Optimized Mode.

davidk

Final testing today.  Got the elevator, rudder and wings on today.  By default, with the AR620, the Reflex V2 is in Optimized Mode (AS3X) which is what I want.  I do not have the ability to switch the Reflex Off or into Stabilized Mode (SAFE).

One odd finding... the battery placement and CG are way off.  The Futura V3 calls for CG to be 100-105mm from the leading edge at the fuselage and for the battery to be a 6S 4000mAh.  Putting the battery in the only place it can go, this plane is so tail heavy.  The battery cannot be moved forward because the hatch is in the way.

It's so weird to have such a long standing, long running, Version 3 plane that doesn't balance.

I checked the build video from Brian Philips... the 37 hour long video... and even though he marks the CG, he never tests it.  However, in the subsequent flight video, he confirms that he didn't include an actual CG test... and... then shows the huge hole he had to create in the canopy in order to get the plane to balance.  Yikes.