Balsa USA Laker build

Started by octagon, November 02, 2020, 09:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

I picked up and old BUSA Laker kit last spring. The plane was designed by Canadian Laddie Mikolasko. The Laker is a 70 inch flying boat. I was surprised that the motor does not have any positive thrust. I actually called Laddie. What a nice guy. He has been designing and building model planes for 60 years, but has given it up and now plays Pickle Ball, and absolutely loves it. He told me that I should reposition the horizontal stabilizer so that it is not right on the top of the fuselage, but instead about and inch or two above it so as to be higher off the water. I did that by cutting slots in both the horizontal and vertical stabs and then using triangle stock to support the joint
I built and used a fuselage jig and am quite happy with how square this plane is turning out. I will power it with an Eflite Power 46. The speed control will be in the engine pod. I think it will probably need a 5s battery, which should be easy to put in as the entire cockpit, canopy is removable.
This is a quick building kit with nice wood and comprehensive plans and decent instructions, although they are for gas or nitro so the electric conversion is just my vision of the way it should be.
What could possibly go wrong?

Gregor77