TEMAC Nooner racer build thread!!

Started by Ededge2002, February 18, 2013, 10:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

Looks good Simon.  I wonder just how much faster 400W will be over what I was running back in the day(I think around 200)  I really think the airframe will limit the overall top speed but this could prove to test that point.

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

So I flew my Nooner again yesterday. Wow, I'd forgotten how good they fly! Sort of. My only remaining Nooner suffers from the issue  of requiring down trim to fly straight. Lots of it. And that always makes it "exciting" to launch.

Anyway, I had a radio signal loss (using an old Orange DSM2 Rx) and landed in the reeds by the stream. Undamaged but I decided to bring the plane home to swap the Rx.

Today I decided to cut out the old tail, build a new smaller one and set it straight in the fuse so that hopefully it will fly straight without trim. I surprised myself and got it all done today.

Hopefully maiden in Tuesday.

bfeist

If I recall correctly, that tail angle was introduced during the old brushed motor 7-cell era. Nooners weren't design to be flown so fast!

sihinch

Shhhh. Don't tell my Nooner that, Ben!  ;D

Polecat

Simon
I think your in for some need for speed, hope we can get a couple of E F 1 races in Sept/Oct.

Ken

VadimKirillov

How about Starting new group build for Nooner or morphene? I think I really need one of those to race.

Frank v B

Just to put Ben's comment in perspective, the Nooner was built for a Speed 400 motor producing about 90 watts.  The Nooners we raced had about 200 watts going through them.

I have a second Nooner with about 300 watts and it does not go much faster than the 200 watt one.  My conclusion is that 200 watts is the "hull speed*" of the Nooner.

Frank

* hull speed of a displacement hull is the maximum speed a boat will ever go no matter how much more power you apply. (for Andy, 1.3 times the square root of the waterline length).
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on June 29, 2020, 06:40:49 PM
Just to put Ben's comment in perspective, the Nooner was built for a Speed 400 motor producing about 90 watts.  The Nooners we raced had about 200 watts going through them.

I have a second Nooner with about 300 watts and it does not go much faster than the 200 watt one.  My conclusion is that 200 watts is the "hull speed*" of the Nooner.

Frank

* hull speed of a displacement hull is the maximum speed a boat will ever go no matter how much more power you apply. (for Andy, 1.3 times the square root of the waterline length).

Hi @Frank v B ,

You meant 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length in feet, (HS = 1.34 x √LWL) right?!  8)

Andy