Frenchman's Bay Float Fly - Saturday, September 6 - 4:30

Started by piker, September 02, 2014, 10:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

Thank you so much Robert for organizing such a wonderful event.  ;D

For anyone who never try Float Fly, come on out.  It's lots of fun.

Here is the video clip from last night event.

http://vimeo.com/105528486

battlestu

great video Oscar... if you skip to 3:08 you can see Grace trying to push me in. I wonder who put her up to that (cough @thehaze cough)

Btw Oscar your head is a very stable camera platform ;)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

piker

Yes!  It certainly WAS a beautiful evening for a float fly at Frenchman's Bay last night!

I arrived at about 4:20 and met Andre on my way in.  The parking lot had lots of open space for us to use and the water level was lower than last time, so we had room to park the planes on the beach (or the parking lot as some did), and we had a nice long flight line/launching area.  The winds were light, and coming from the south/west, and really didn't offer any problems to our flying which started right away after Andre helped me get the boat set-up.

We had a great turnout with lots of our regular float flyers and a whole bunch of seaplanes on the flight line.  We just flew and flew and flew, and touch and go's were plentiful.  As the late afternoon turned to evening, the sun lowered in the sky, and although it was a beautiful sun set, it made seeing the planes, when flying to the west, a little more challenging.  But with the sunset came calm air and glass smooth water, which is what float flying is all about, in my opinion... 

We flew until after sunset and only packed the boat away after it was getting difficult to see the planes in the air.  Still, it was tempting to keep flying as the conditions were perfect.  I think for next year we need to have lighting systems on our planes so we can extend the flying a little later.

It was such an ideal evening for float flying that it made the take-off and landings easy, so we had NO crashes or dunks.  I only used the boat twice. Once to get Glenn's Micro Cub that flipped over on take-off, and then at the end of the evening, when I tried to get fancy with my water bomber and ended up thumping it down on a touch and go attempt (actually, you can see that in Oscars video above).  No problem for the plane, but the two wheels that were merely taped on the side (so I could remove them later when I get around to adding a little more detail), fell off into the water.  I had to take the boat out to get them back   :)

Thank you to EVERYONE who came out and made this (and every) float flying event a huge success.  TAMAC is very serious about having fun, and I'm glad to see we bring that vibe to the float fly's.

Let's do it again in two weeks!

battlestu

i believe this one shot sums up what Rob said...
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

piker

So what did I use all those words for?... Oh ya, to annoy Simon (he can't see very many words at one time on his phone.)

Great picture, Greg!!

sihinch

gmcnic

I really enjoyed last evening's float fly-- great weather, water, planes and pilots.
As the sun set, everything just became so calm and relaxing.
A perfect way to conclude the weekend.

Thank you so much Robert!
Oscar's video is a nice capture of the evening-- a lot better than recent TV :) :)
(Imran-  it was fun flying the Icon's together.  Let's do it again ;D )