Wing shapes for pylon racers

Started by sihinch, September 23, 2013, 04:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

If one were planning a fast (100mph) pylon racing aeroplane, with a wing area about 180sq.in and a 10% thickness, which of the following shapes would be fastest/most suited to Team Racing...... ;)

Papa

This seems to be a very popular shape for Pylon Racers.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

imran13

I'm kind of confused... What do you guys mean when you say 10% airfoil?
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Ededge2002

Quote from: imran13 on September 23, 2013, 11:11:59 PM
I'm kind of confused... What do you guys mean when you say 10% airfoil?

10% airfoil relative to chord.
If you measured from leading edge of wing to the trailing edge the thickness of the airfoil at that point will be 10% of the measurement.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

Greg H found a company called "FlyingFoam" who will do custom cut wing cores.  I was working on their site yesterday to come up with a wing that would meet the TEMAC race series requirements.

Thought I'd share in case anyone else wants to have a go at designing their own racer. 

I am waiting for a quote now, to know how much they would be.

Now we just need plans or a design for a fuselage.......

imran13

Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

sihinch

Wing cores have been ordered and a fuse plan has been found!

Watch out for some custom-built "Piker" class racers next year!

Mine's called the "Snitch"

sihinch

Here's a quick look at the "shape of things to come"!  ;)

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

It's OK Greg, it's all in the details.

They may know we have fast, sleek foam wings, and they know we have plans for the fuselage, but they don't know the specs and awesome construction techniques we'll be using.

piker

Oh, you chose the MH43?  Good luck with THAT!   ;D

Polecat

Simon
Good lookin cores, are you sheeting them with 1/16 balsa? Use epoxy for glue and you will have a strong stiff wing.

sihinch

Robert, if I have done my research correctly, then I can assure you that the MH43 airfoil cannot be used for Piker class racing because it's airfoil is less than 10%!

The airfoil we are using is similar to the SD airfoil of the Nooner.......but better!

I haven't researched the balsa thickness required yet, Ken, but was planning to use Wellbond to sheet them.

Polecat

Simon
Go with two part epoxy, its liter and stronger. Carpenter type glues have some water in the mixer, which can develop a wraped wing.
The MFG. of the Nooner kits must have used epoxy.
The epoxy I use is Pacer Finishing Epoxy, have used it for many years and Hobby Epoxy before that, it all works great.
I can help you with sheeting the wings, just PM me

Ken