Field improvement committee

Started by Skyking, May 23, 2013, 10:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyking

Has anyone heard from the Keswick club?
They were going to let us know when they put in their geotex so we could observe.
Ken
Actually, I can.

akabek

I was speaking to one of the Keswick members and they have not installed their runway yet.

Bobmic

I was wandering if there are any plans for improvements to be made this year.
I am not sure what is the deal with geotex but at least maybe try to roll the field again with a real heavy roller - possibly after the last rain we got.
Although we can take off, taxing is almost impossible and not too fun unless using significantly large wheels.
Please don't get me wrong I am not trying to blame anyone or point any fingers, I think Temac is a great club with awesome people that make an effort to make improvements but I am sure that everyone will benefit from a smoother runway.
I know there is a field improvement committee that is planning to look into different options and is supposed to submit their findings and proposals to the board etc... But since we are not a huge corporation with many thousands of people and procedures I don't think that working to improve the field should be so difficult.
I am aware of the fact that not everything can or will work but it will be nice to move forward.
I think the cleanup session and rolling of the field was excellent and we should probably have more field improvements / maintenance days.

Beside the runway I have one more question - I understand that we are not allowed to have any permanent structures but can we build a couple of benches with a small roof to get some shade?
These are not permanent structures as they are not anchored to the ground.
A simpler option is to buy a few 10x10ft canopies - I saw them for around $60 the only problem will be storage as we'll need some kind of a shed.

If you don't agree just say so - again I appreciate everything that was done to the field but I think that continuous improvement is a goal that many have (and should have), from improving our piloting skills to buying new planes and so on.

Thank you
Bobby

sihinch

Bobby,

Basically, all of your desires are great but bottom line is we are limited by funds.

We have a list of improvements that we want to make but we need to prioritise.  Gravel for the parking area is our #1 priority right now.

The field has been rolled this year and there are no plan to do it again.

The committee is only a runway committee. Nothing else is in scope. We are waiting for Keswick to move ahead with their plan to see a geotex installation. Again, for TEMAC funds will be a major consideration.

On a personal note, since I live downtown with no suitable flying areas or parks, I am delighted that we have such a great field at TEMAC, where we can fly 25+ lb models and +150mph models without the fear of hiting property or people. Let's be grateful for what we have!

I will ensure your suggestions about seating are considered, but another personal reaction is that we need to consider climate and it's effects.

Simon

Bobmic

Hi Simon,

First of all as I mentioned we are grateful but I am sure you also strive to improve in any field. If the issue is funds why don't we raise it and check if the members agree to fund any improvements beyond the current plans that are covered by the 2013 annual fees.
I am sure that we will not get a simple yes or no answer, one option will be that some will agree to contribute more than others and if this will be enough than we are good to go.
On the other hand if the majority are not interested in doing any improvement and no one is in interested in contributing to the effort the answer is simple and no one (including my self - unfortunately ):.. ) should complain.

-I think a simple poll following a short email to all members can answer this, the only question will be if anyone has a rough estimate of the funds required.

Thanks again,
Bobby

Michael

I am sure that every member has a few ideas on how to improve the field.

Ideas are great, but implementation usually involves a lot more time, work and expense than most imagine.

A simple suggestion of buying canopies for $60 sounds great, but then suggesting we need some kind of shed, this overlooks the fact that this would probably cost more than $1,000., hours of work for the board, and the need to prepare some type of foundation to secure the shed, and then we'd have to deal with the issue of security, upkeep and cleaning. We'd also have to raise the money, which could take weeks or months, and would involve additional hours of work for bookkeeping and deposits.

As far as I'm concerned, I would rather have members put forth to the board complete plans to make improvements, for which those members will take responsibility for the implementation.

We all want improvements.
TEMAC is a non-profit organization, and all board members are essentially elected volunteers.

This is a great board and they are doing all they can.

If anybody has any field improvement ideas, please don't just volunteer the ideas; volunteer the comprehensive implementation.

Michael

sihinch

Quote from: Bobmic on May 31, 2013, 10:46:29 AM
the only question will be if anyone has a rough estimate of the funds required.
Thanks again,
Bobby

Bobby - why don't you prepare a quote for the whole project, like Michael has suggested? Tell us how much is needed.

I like building and flying RC aircraft.  I have a day-job that takes considerable dedication and effort.  I volunteer my time, with the rest of the Board, to help keep TEMAC going (secure the field, ensure people are safe, ensure we have tables, maintain the field, train new members, organise fun flies, run winter workshops, administer a race series, run a build class, provide a forum.)  We do our best, and we do a lot.

If you have time, why not come on board and be our Field Manager?

What can YOU do to help TEMAC?

sihinch

Oh, and one other point - the more money we have to spend on repairs, the less we have for improvements.  That includes cars getting stuck in soft ground, damaging it for other club members!!!

Gregor77

I would rather keep the membership fees low and just sit in the van have a cold water and watch you guys sweat it out.   :-X

The suggestions are all valid, but it comes down to cost and as Michael stated, then we need a shed or the local kids are going to have a field day!

Bobmic

Simon - I asked a question as a committee was assigned and I don't think I  have asked you to do anything specific.
Since there were a number of posts asking different things, a committee was formed to try and answer part of the questions raised and was hoping to hear back from the committee assigned. I understand that this is a hot topic that some take personally and am not sure why.
- Do I need to think twice before I ask any field related question? I don't think I had any complaints I am not sure where your last answer came from.
The only "suggestion" I had was to ask a question if members are willing to contribute as I heard from a few that they were. I don't see any point in even trying to get a quote or put together any plans if no one is interested and this is why I have "suggested" to ask the members.
As for helping out, unfortunately between my job, commute and other commitments I can not be at the field on Wednesdays however I didn't have any issue in helping out over the weekends - and will be happy to help in the future.
Michael - I fully understand the implications of adding a shed etc. this is why I asked if we can / are allowed to do something else, if we are not than that's fine, but at least I have asked ...

The bottom line is that I have asked a question, and did not ask anyone to do anything nor implying that I don't agree with anyone or don't appreciate the board and I really did not expect this response.

Bobmic

Quote from: sihinch on May 31, 2013, 12:16:20 PM
Oh, and one other point - the more money we have to spend on repairs, the less we have for improvements.  That includes cars getting stuck in soft ground, damaging it for other club members!!!

...I suggest you don't go there, during the winter I have never entered and during the cleanup I tried my best to get the gravel flat.
Yesterday when I came (and was not the first car there) I didn't - expect that I will have a problem getting out.

Unfortunately I did not expect this one from you

Michael

Bobby, none of the responses are harsh.

Read them again and pretend the person saying those words is smiling, and talking softly.

It'll come across better.  :)
Michael

Michael

Anyway, everyone should be prepared for higher membership fees next year.

;D
Michael

Bobmic

Quote from: Michael on May 31, 2013, 02:47:02 PM
Bobby, none of the responses are harsh.

Read them again and pretend the person saying those words is smiling, and talking softly.

It'll come across better.  :)

This is what I like to hear   ::)
Thank you Michael !

sihinch

;D :D ;) :) 8)

I promise to use more smileys!