Any suggestions for the next plane?

Started by Bobmic, June 01, 2013, 06:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmic

So I am thinking on a new plane but I can not say tat I have my finger on a specific one.
What I am looking for is something around 60 - 70in wingspan with flaps if possible but not a must (split ones will be even nicer).
Must be an ARF (or built by someone else ;D ) and should be in the same quality of Hangar 9 products (or higher)
Rob's Zero is nice but first Rob already has one and second it has some kind of a weird arrangement for the batteries.
Percival Mew Gull is also nice although I read that the landing gear has to be replaced and the elevator is not the best but I haven't seen one fly in person so I don't know how it really is.
I also looked at the Hangar 9 P51 Blue Nose, again haven't seen one fly only read in a couple of places that some broke the wings off due to high G but again I am sure as many were sold and it is a very nice plane, I also like the fact it's not green as I already have a green P 40B.
I don't know of other civilian or military planes that should be considered - not looking for a 3D plane or a supper fast glider. A scale or pylon racer or even something closer to pattern is what I am looking for.

....The FW-109A is really nice but its not on my list.

Any suggestions will be welcome
Thank you
Bobby

sihinch

Michael has the blue-nose P51 and it flies awesome!

I just bought a Hyperion Mustang 40e "Miss Velma" from Allerc for $130! 60" wingspan AUW approx 3kg. They have a Japanese Hayate in the same size, in silver.

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-ki-84-hayate-40e-arf-silver-p-4108.html

Looks like TEMACs gonna have some great warbirds.

Bobmic

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Bobmic

Quote from: thehaze on June 03, 2013, 09:24:43 AM
How about a Revolver? A terrific sport plane...

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1019.html

This is actually a very nice option - Ben do you need another reason to go with the BF-109 beside crashing?
If you do send me a note otherwise can I ask what is the setup you are using?

Thx,
Bobby

sihinch

Check out the new Hangar 9 P-47 in 60 size!

bfeist

Quote from: Bobmic on June 03, 2013, 12:17:30 PM

Quote from: thehaze on June 03, 2013, 09:24:43 AM
How about a Revolver? A terrific sport plane...

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1019.html

This is actually a very nice option - Ben do you need another reason to go with the BF-109 beside crashing?
If you do send me a note otherwise can I ask what is the setup you are using?

Thx,
Bobby

No problem at all. I don't plan on crashing the Revolver   I have the bigger revolver, the Revolver 70. I'm running 6s 5000mah with an ICE 100 ESC and a great planes Rimfire 1.20 motor, spinning a 16x8 prop. I ran a 70A ESC and a Rimfire .80 motor on a 15x7 prop last year. It was fine actually, but with the larger 70" revolver was a little slow on the up-line. I didn't really need to change to a bigger system, but I'm happier with the overall power now. Keep in mind that I'm a bit of a power glutton.

The revolver (smaller or 70") is a great aerobatic plane that will teach you to be a better pilot. Completely stable and dependable, but also will do exactly what you tell it to do (which exposes your lack of piloting skill pretty quickly). I love it. Piker has the smaller Revolver, maybe he can weigh in on his.

Ben

Bobmic

Thank you Ben,
I haven't seen the smaller revolver but I've seen yours and it is definitely impressive with the bigger motor you are using. Are you thinking of on selling it?

Simon - thank you for pointing out the new P47 it is definite a consideration the only caveat is the all green scheme that looks somewhat like the P40 but I will have to wait and see it when it will be available.

bfeist

Not planning on selling my Revolver. I still have a lot of learning to do.

Bobmic

piker

I've had my revolver (.40 size) for several years (actually since the year it first came out) and I like it very much.  I agree with what Ben says.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that it makes quite a respectable pattern style plane.

You haven't seen mine recently because the power system has been acting weird.  I'm anxious to get it figured out so I can get the plane back in the air.

Robert

Gregor77

Bobmic

The P47 will only be out late in the summer but my hesitatation is due to the fact it looks somewhat similar to the P40, if it only was silver and orange....
Any one has a speculation on how will it fly compared to the P51 blue nose?
As for the revolver - it is realy something I like - I have my show time 50 that is not a pattern planes as the wings are closer to 3D - they are relatively shorter and wider to have lower wing loading.
I am not sure how's the elevator and rudder in the revolver - does it use two elevator servos and pull pull on the rudder.
What servos do I need for it . Hitec 485 are enough or does it need higher end ones?

Bobby

Bobmic

So I ended up buying the Revolver.
This is my first Great Planes model and It sure looks like a nice plane. A big thank you to Bill and Ben for the tips and Mike for the original suggestion.
This is another example of what an awesome club and forum TEMAC is!
The amount of knowledge and money I gained and saved "only" from the information shared by you guys on the forum and at the field is amazing and adds a new dimension to this hobby (at least for me).
It's amazing that almost always I will check what's new on TEMAC's website before I go online for other things. The only "problem" is trying to balance and fit other things in the available time beside this hobby .... Ok Ok don't shoot me I know this should be the first priority but there are a few more things that need to be done.
Anyhow since I sold a few planes this was number one but I will probably be looking for another (maybe a Blue Nose P51..?)

Thank you
Bobby

battlestu

good stuff Bobby can't wait to see it fly... make sure you post some pictures of the build
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"