Warwing On my Own - Build Thread

Started by Mike_Kilo, September 30, 2020, 08:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Mike_Kilo on October 03, 2020, 03:17:37 PM
You're missing the point @Andy Hoffer.  It doesn't necessarily have to be practical, it just has justify to myself the cost of the printer;D

Plus, my workbench primarily a home for my tools.  They begrudgingly share the space with my projects.

I do like the 3D printed leading edge idea! A new hybrid construction method!

I knew that as soon as you said, "3D printed a simple sanding block" !! ;D

You are kidding no one!

Andy

bfeist

3D printing isn't difficult or frightening, Andy!

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bfeist on October 03, 2020, 09:09:57 PM
3D printing isn't difficult or frightening, Andy!

Hi @bfeist ,

Difficult, no, but I would I would posit that considerable seismic domestic emanations would manifest from our domicile if a certain person that I live with were to discover yet another piece of hardware in our already crowded and cluttered workshop, which doubles as a repository for our heavily trafficked second refrigerator, our overflow pantry, and innumerable planes piled up in the middle of the room!!  "Frightening" would be an understatement!!8)

Andy

bfeist

Says the guy who just picked up Michael's lot of excess tools :)

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bfeist on October 04, 2020, 12:30:59 AM
Says the guy who just picked up Michael's lot of excess tools :)

Hi @bfeist,

Michael's excess tools quickly melted away into the dark recesses of my workbench, my darkroom, and the interstitial voids under the table in my shop which supports my aircraft collection (both airworthy and in-queue for restoration), which somewhat resembles an amorphous Croquembouche.  The total volumetric requirement was less than 2 cubic feet.  And if one judiciously applies limit theory by dividing said volume into an infinite number of infinitesimally small pieces (which is quite reasonable given the diversity and quantity of said tools, accessories and other vintage goodies), then the sum of those pieces approaches zero, i.e. the desired threshold for detection.  A 3D printer does not afford one such divisibility and hence would be a magnet for a most critical observation which would rival COVID-19 as a threat to my longevity!  8)

Andy 

Michael

The following is a public service language translation for normal people, from Hoffer to English:

Andy can hide the tools purchase from his wife to avoid conflict, but not a 3-D printer.
Michael

Andy Hoffer

Mike_Kilo

At risk of this turning into a thread about 3D printed sanding blocks, here is a photo of my latest 3D printed sanding block!  ;D
This one is clearly for sanding nice square edges.

More on topic, my glue test showed me that both Gorilla Glue and 5-Minute epoxy form a joint stronger than the foam, so I doubt it matters what I use.  Since I am building two airframes, I may use one on each.

Andy Hoffer

Great stuff @Mike_Kilo .  Your sanding blocks are really works of art that should be given some wings and fitted for flight.  :D

Andy

davidk

Quote from: Mike_Kilo on October 03, 2020, 02:22:54 PM
I designed and 3D printed a simple sanding block for shaping a nice radius on the leading edges of my Warwing (or any other 1/2in. material).  Sandpaper is held on with 3M Super77 spray glue.

It works well, but it helps to do a bit of rough shaping first, otherwise it takes a while to remove all the material (using 220 grit for a nice finish, and to reduce tearout).

I could have made similar tool out of wood rather quickly, but 3D printing is good way to go if you want to experiment with more exotic shapes.  I am thinking of printing one with more of an airfoil shape, and maybe some to sand 45 and 90 degree bevels.

Very cool.  It seems to be electric, as well.

I'm trying to hold off on getting a 3D Printer, but I'm losing the battle with me.  Prusa is my choice, but maybe try to hold off for the Mk4.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: davidk on October 08, 2020, 10:55:57 PM
Quote from: Mike_Kilo on October 03, 2020, 02:22:54 PM
I designed and 3D printed a simple sanding block for shaping a nice radius on the leading edges of my Warwing (or any other 1/2in. material).  Sandpaper is held on with 3M Super77 spray glue.

It works well, but it helps to do a bit of rough shaping first, otherwise it takes a while to remove all the material (using 220 grit for a nice finish, and to reduce tearout).

I could have made similar tool out of wood rather quickly, but 3D printing is good way to go if you want to experiment with more exotic shapes.  I am thinking of printing one with more of an airfoil shape, and maybe some to sand 45 and 90 degree bevels.

Very cool.  It seems to be electric, as well.

I'm trying to hold off on getting a 3D Printer, but I'm losing the battle with me.  Prusa is my choice, but maybe try to hold off for the Mk4.

@davidk you don't need to get your own 3D printer.  @Mike_Kilo is clearly in search of justification/rationalization for his 3D printer.  I am certain he would accept small contracts for 3D print jobs at attractive wholesale rates, just to keep the plastic flowing,  All you have to do is provide the requisite design files to satiate the printer's appetite.  And maybe a spool of weed whacker plastic filament!   :D

Andy

bfeist

I have the Prusa Mini. It's excellent. Happy to give you details.

davidk

Quote from: bfeist on October 09, 2020, 12:58:18 PM

I have the Prusa Mini. It's excellent. Happy to give you details.

Thanks @bfeist , I'm going to try and hold off for a Prusa i4 MK4 model.  It seems to me that it might be out within the year because it's been a while since the i3 MK3 came out... just wishful thinking probably.  I also want a bit bigger printing area.

Andy Hoffer

Mike_Kilo

Andy is right, if anyone needs something printed just ask.  My printer needs some maintenance before I do any large or long duration prints again, but I can do smaller stuff no problem.  All I ask is you pay for the material cost (pennies to loonies depending on the print).  I can also apply my limited CAD skills to make original parts.