Flying at TEMAC today - movies attached

Started by Michael, February 05, 2012, 05:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Michael

Gregor77

It was a great weekend.   The plane flew very well with lots of power.  It runs 4 30AMP esc's with 2 3S,2200 nano packs.  It has functioning retracts and flaps.  It is made by a company called Freewing.  It was purchased from HK, HK has 3-4 large B-17 right now, this was the best one in my opinion, although not the largest of the bunch.

If you notice on the video, my elevator was a bit twitchy, but I was running 100% throw +/- , the reason that the plane pitched up so quickly near the end of the take off is the amount of pull the 4 engines cause. I punched it a bit more when I noticed it droped. I was worried about stalling, but it seemed OK.

Otherwise the functioning retracts with suspension worked great.   Although I have to be careful as the retracts are a bit $$$ even from oversea's.   But can't wait to fly it a bit more....

Also did another maiden with the FMS 1440 mm P47 that flew great!  It must have been my best landing ever!  Andy took some great shots of that one!

pmackenzie

Which HK one is it?
I bought one of these last fall.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18599

Didn't quite get it done before the weather turned bad, so it will have to wait for spring.

Not a bad kit, for a big chunk of foam ;)

Pat MacKenzie

Gregor77

Hi Pat

That is the same one as mine, but the "Green" version.   This is a really good quality kit, the manufacturer is "Freewing".  I did lots of research before jumping on this one.  The plane was over $600 at one point.   The only thing that I found very difficult about the build was mapping all the ESC's and making sure they all turned the proper way.  The inner engine and the outters are all using different ESC's.  There is a lot of wires on the plane.  Otherwise, it is great!   It took off nice, but when you mash the throttle she will pull up agressively.   I just have to get use to it.  But nice scale passes are amazing.  The retracts and everything else worked very well.   There is some feedback from the forums in changing the elevator rod as some people say it is a bit weak.   But I am happy...  You will like it... Come out on warbird day, it will be great to have two of them going.  Ken also has the "Bell" that he flies from HK.   Ken, post some images!

pmackenzie

I put connectors between the ESC and the motors up near the ESCs. Made it easy to reverse a motor if I had to.
The retracts seem a bit weak to me, and I don't like the way the wheels don't lock in the up position.

Unfortunately the  Warbird funfly falls on the same day as the T&D (Toronto and District) control line contest
In fact as usual almost all the TEMAC events conflict with some sort of C/L or glider contest :(
Exception might be the TEMAC funfly on the labour day weekend. Depends how our flight back from the W/C in Bulgaria work out.

Climbing under power is often a C/G problem (nose heavy), but programmable mixes are great at fixing this sort of problem.
With my 9303  I have the flaps programmed to move slowly between the three positions, and elevator compensation for each one.

Pat MacKenzie