Warbirds Combat as Seen from a TriCopter

Started by Candu, July 12, 2013, 06:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candu

Ededge2002

Streamers?  Delta wings?  Combat?  How do I get invited?  Do I have to be retired?

Looks like fun!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Candu

piker

Wingnutz

That was really fun to watch! ;D Sort of a mini swarm of foam things...the ultimate full contact RC activity...full contact? How often do you guys actually hit the other guys' streamer or plane?
Should be absolutely hilarious with five or six!
Looks like insanely fun! Where do I buy the ARF?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Candu

I just got into this fun thing not too long ago, others may be able to provide more details on the rules but I believe the main objective is to cut off the other plane's streamer. Based on what I have seen so far, it's hard! It ended up with who ever can stay up the longest wins the battle.  The guys are trying to get more pilots interested in joining in the fun. There's a video in another thread in this forum that showed 5 wings up at once.

Wingnutz

Warwing Combat presented every sunny morning at Rogo by the "Aurora Boys" has me in stitches almost every time I watch. You nine to fivers have no idea what you're missing!
The video in this thread gives you a flavour for the wild and crazy nature of the combat itself but the real entertainment often takes place at launch time or shortly after.
The best incident had to be the reversed motor launch. Pilot throttled up, launcher tossed the model...which did its best to fly backwards! I've never seen a startled 65 ish year old display such speed and gymnastic ability trying to get out of the way! Small peanut gallery which included me were by this time rolling on the ground laughing. When we recovered enough to look up...there they were...all lined up to do it again...and before we could holler a warning, they did it again!! Same display of athleticism from the launcher which incapacitated the peanut gallery for the rest of the morning! Happily no damage done.
Another which comes to mind was the lawn dart lauch...
The warwings fly well and are sometimes hand launched almost vertically by their pilots...which works well unless the model drifts behind the pilot's head as it climbs causing the pilot to lose orientation and the model to continue vertical flight...straight down!
The flying motor launch is almost self explanatory but very entertaining at a Warbirds Funfly Warwings demo!
This morning's episode could be called Unguided Missile Launch...launcher released the model which did its best to impersonate an angry wasp buzzing around the launcher's head and then deciding to attack the pilot behind the pilot station before finally crashing. Again, happily no harm done.
The Warwing pilots are a warm friendly crew and I've really enjoyed their company at the field...rarely a dull moment! Does anybody have a spare scrap of 1/2" foam?

Candu

A couple of "Aurora Boys" must have had  "Senior Moments" and created some excitement that morning. Normally, by nature, everything done by the ex-nine-to-fivers happens in slow motion. Because this excitement was somewhat usual, A full investigation was initiated by the NTSC (Not-Too-Sure-Crash committee) members. The NTSC interviewed the subject pilots at their regular undisclosed location at the southeast corner of Stouffville and Markham Roads this morning. Based on the video submissions and interviews, the NTSC findings are:

Lawn Dart Case - Cause is confirmed to be senior moments in which the wrong models was selected on the RC transmitter. Models were ID as WING-1 and WING-2 in the RC Transmitter model library. To prevent future repeat of similar events, the NTSC recommends that more meaningful model names be assigned. In this particular case, "BIG WING" and "SMALL WING" are considered more appropriate.

Fly Backward Case - Cause is again confirmed to be senior moments. Although it was not an unanimous decision but majority of the NTSC committee members concluded the likely cause to be the streamer being inadvertently restrained. The elasticity of the good quality streamer stopped the warwing from continue its forward movement and bounced backward. NTSC concluded that the good quality streamers did not meet specifications and recommends dollar store quality streamer be used in the future for this application. Alternatively, single ply toilet paper of any colour could also be used.

Video presented to the NTSC: Model names used was WING-1 and WING-2.

Delta Wings Crash

Videos to show compliance with NTSC recommendations:

SMALL-WING
Small Wing Test Flight

BIG WING
Video from Onboard a WarWing

Summary report respectfully submitted in the spirit of maintaining fun and safe RC flying at Rogo field by "Morning Shift" members.

sihinch

Too funny!!!  ;D Loved the write up, Frank.

thehaze

Good stuff!

Looks like you guys have a lot of fun.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

BobbyW

What great read to start the morning :-)
Aerofly 5 R/C Flight Simulator for Mac
E-flite Apprentice S 15e RTF
HobbyZone Micro Champ RTF
Spectrum DX8

battlestu

looks like a great time!... can't wait until i can become a member of the morning crew ;D
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Wingnutz

Nice post Frank! Well, I guess that makes it official! Although officially known as NTSC, unofficially the investigation team will have to put up with its unofficial nickname of Senior Moments Aircraft Crash Investigation Team (SMACIT for short). As an eye-witness to the reversed motor launch incident I still think the cause was the motor running backwards rather than the launcher standing on the streamer and causing the model to rebound. I know the investigation is closed and SMACIT has released its report but let the records show one eye witness is still laughing!  ;D  The wisdom of seniors investigating senior moments makes perfect sense to me...why would we let any of those nine to fivers in on our fun anyway?

Candu

Skyking

Greg,

That's a good picture of you in the bio.
You look strong like bull, dumb like streetcar.
Where can I get a shirt like that?

Your admiring friend,
Ken
Actually, I can.