5 channel vs 6 channel and planning for the future?

Started by BobbyW, August 14, 2013, 07:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyW

When contemplating entry into this hobby, I had come to the conclusion that as far as a Tx was concerned, I felt a 6-channel model (with decent memory) was the minimum I should have and I actually thought that the new Apprentice S 15e included one, but after carefully looking at the specs, I realized that it came with the Spektrum DX5e...  a 5 channel transmitter.

I really like the Apprentice and also the FlyZone Sensei, and both give me the opportunity, I think, to get what I want (and will eventually  need :-)

Option one... contact a retailer and see if they'll swap out the DX5e for a DX6i, if I buy the Apprentice S 15e. One dealer has already suggested that he'd do the swap for an extra $100 on the original $300 list for the RTF. I think this might be a little high, as the delta cost on the two transmitters seems to be closer to $80. I'm checking out some more retailers to see if I can get a better price.

Option two... the FlyZone Sensei comes in an RxR (as well as TxR and RTF mode) and the cost ($190), plus the DX6i Tx/Rx ($190), is around $380... about the same as I think the Apprentice with Tx swap should be.

Do you folks see any flaws in my thinking here? Any suggestion as to which option might be best or even a third option?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you guys might throw this way.

...Bob
Aerofly 5 R/C Flight Simulator for Mac
E-flite Apprentice S 15e RTF
HobbyZone Micro Champ RTF
Spectrum DX8

sihinch

I don't know much about the Flyzone stuff but unread online today, on RCGroups, that the Anylink is not that reliable.  This is not from personal experience though.

pmackenzie

The difference between the DX5 and the DX6 is far more than the extra channel.
Same for a DX7 versus the DX6. Much more capable programming that will fly almost anything.

If you want to stick with Spektrum then I would suggest as a minimum the DX7.
If money is tight, then consider a used one.

Pat MacKenzie

thehaze

Pat is right. The difference between the spektrum models is more than just the number of channels. I think the best advice in regards to purchasing a radio is to buy the best one you can afford. However, I flew an Apprentice S tonight and I was really impressed with how it flew and how the SAFE system worked (all using the supplied DX5). The Sensei is also a really good trainer and could be equipped with spektrum gear.

Here's a thought..

If you are unsure of which way you are going in terms of radios, get the Apprentice with the DX5. When you are done training on it sell the plane and radio as a package and then upgrade your radio.

However if you need to supply your own buddy box for training then the DX5 is a great choice, and you'd need another radio (perhaps a used DX6, check RC Canada) anyway.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

imran13

I don't know much about the flyzone sensei, but the Apprentice S is a really cool plane.

As for radios, I was looking at the original apprentice with the DX5 but it wasn't in stock and I was too eager to fly so I ended up getting the DX6 along with an art-tech Cessna 182. The Cessna was good while it lasted.

But I'm really glad I got the DX6 because there's so many features on it that I never thought I would use a year ago but now use very regularly.

The DX6i is a great radio.

Hope I helped with your decision :)
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

sihinch

I went DX5e to DX6i to DX7s and wished I'd just gone from the DX5 straight to the DX7.

thehaze

With the DX6i recently appearing on the Horizon Hobby clearance site. I'm guessing that a new version is due out this fall. It's the oldest radio they sell I think. Might be worth waiting and seeing what the new one is going to be if you're going to buy a new one.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Skyking

I have ADX7 that is for sale $100.
20 Model memory and it has a BIG Lipo battery that I only charge about once out of every 4 times I fly.
This radio works perfectly and is a good choice for someone on a limited budget who wants a radio that will fill your needs for the first few years of flying.

Ken
Actually, I can.

pmackenzie

Sounds like a good deal for someone who needs a transmitter  :)

Has it had the DSMX upgrade? (Or did it come DSMX ready)

Skyking

Actually, I can.

BobbyW

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm still mulling over the options.

And FWIW, I did realize that the difference in transmitters was more that just "channels" available :-)
Aerofly 5 R/C Flight Simulator for Mac
E-flite Apprentice S 15e RTF
HobbyZone Micro Champ RTF
Spectrum DX8