Strut pin substitute?

Started by wollins, August 19, 2013, 04:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Need to find some 6mm strut pins ... you know ... the pins that connect your landing gear struts to your electric retracts. LHS (Pinnacle ... A@J;s)  that I called don't even know what I'm talking about!  ::)   Example here. I suspect if they don't even know what I'm talking about I'm gonna have a hard time finding them locally. Anything I can use as a substitute?  Someone suggested drill blanks?  If so where can I find those?

Colin

P.S. Need them in a relative hurry or I would just order them online!
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Bigstik

Roll pins may be a good alternate. They are hollow piece of rolled metal, that do indeed become 'pins' but are rolled.

Most well supplied nut/bolt/screw places should carry them.

Bigstik
Bigstik

piker

McMaster Carr.  They're in Florida but if you order online before 4:00pm, it'll be at your place before noon the next day.  Really great service, easy site to work through to get what you want, and the prices are O.K. I think.  Better than hobby shops I'm sure.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-dowel-pins/=o4xqu4

piker

Or try Fastenal at Ellesmere between Markham and McCowan, north side.  But I would be surprised if they have what you want in  stock, so it would be faster through McMaster Carr.

Robert

wollins

Quote from: piker on August 19, 2013, 05:37:34 PM
if you order online before 4:00pm, it'll be at your place before noon the next day. 

Are you sure? You do realize that I still live in Toronto!  ;D  How is that even possible?  :o

Colin
|
|
|

Bigstik

Just checked McMaster Carr website, they call 'roll pins', spring pins.

Bigstik
Bigstik

Ededge2002

I might have a trashed brushed motor with a 6mm shaft.  I will take a look tomorrow. 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

pmackenzie

The ones in your link look like dowel pins, since they are solid.

Mcmaster Carr usually ships to Canada from Ohio or Illinois, depending on what you ordered.
Ohio arrives next day, from Illinois usually 2 days.
But from what I understand they will refuse orders to Canada for "new" customers, so you might not get anywhere with them.

You could try the usual Fastenall or Brafasco places now that you know what they are called.
If all else fails, email me and I can see if I have any 6mm pins at work. How long are they?

Pat MacKenzie

wollins

Quote from: pmackenzie on August 20, 2013, 08:33:03 PM
But from what I understand they will refuse orders to Canada for "new" customers, so you might not get anywhere with them.

You could try the usual Fastenall or Brafasco places now that you know what they are called.
If all else fails, email me and I can see if I have any 6mm pins at work. How long are they?

Pat MacKenzie

Thanks for the offer Pat. I actually got one of their "old customers" to order some for me!  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

piker

I got an E-mail receipt this morning, so I'm hoping the parts show up this morning too.  I've never ordered anything from them that's taken more than a day, but maybe this will be the first time   ;D

We gotta get these things so Colin can test fly his Typhoon and then give us all a show of flying awesomeness on Sunday!

Hey Pat!  Are you able to make it to the TEMAC Fun Fly on Sunday?

Robert

piker

Yep!  Ordered at 3:50 yesterday afternoon, and the dowels were sitting on my chair when I retuned from lunch today.  Amazing!

Robert

pmackenzie

Quote from: piker on August 21, 2013, 09:40:14 AM
Hey Pat!  Are you able to make it to the TEMAC Fun Fly on Sunday?

Robert

Nope  :'(, Combat contest this weekend down in Dresden. ;D
Most of the fun flys seem to conflict with our control line and glider contests.
In fact this weekend we had to choose between the C/L contest, a club glider event at COGG and a DLG contest down in Michigan.

If the forecast is right weather should be superb this weekend, have fun.

Pat