The best airshow I've ever seen...and it was one hour ago!

Started by Wingnutz, August 21, 2013, 05:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

Picture this...this afternoon, I'm turning off the highway onto a Lake Nipissing cottage road when suddenly the treetops to the west of the road explode into a CL-415 water bomber! The huge aircraft's belly promptly disgorges a small lake, the sky goes dark and the ground shakes as the monster thunders almost directly over the car, not much higher than the treetops. I sit wondering if a Ford Escape would be flattened by a direct treetop hit from a CL-415, not sure if he's coming back...or where I can move that might be safer without giving up my front row seat!
Seven more times the giant repeats its treetop level bombing run each time led by a MNR (Ministry Natural Resources) twin Otter. All the time, a helicopter hovers above the action...directing or filming the show...which probably lasts 20 minutes.
As quiet returns to the skies over Lighthouse Road, I creep farther towards my cottage destination to find the local fire department already on the job and smoke blown by the wind filling the air.
But the airshow is over... The fire is out...and suddenly I realize my camera was in the glove box the whole time :-\
Best airshow I've ever seen!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Ededge2002

As disappointed as I am to have missed the show im glad you were there to document it for us!  They will be suspicious if they catch you playing with matches out in the forest...
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

Wow!  That's so cool that you were so close!  That CL-215/415 is one impressive aircraft.  I would always say that it's a great plane to model because it's a large bomber style plane that can be flown quite aggressively and still be scale!

Robert

sihinch

I can't believe you didn't get pictures, Bill!

Did it really happen or did you dream all this?! Lol

Wingnutz

Best part of the show? 100% Canadian content!
Ed, I haven't been playing with matches but I'm glad it rained here last night. Probably helped put out the smoking lipo I threw out the car window into the bush!(Just kidding!)
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!