Night Flying

Started by Oscar, August 31, 2020, 12:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

Mike ( @Mike_Kilo ), Jeff ( @flying saucer ) , Ricky and myself did some night flying tonight.  Its a different kind of flying.  Slow and Relaxed... The best part is putting a light show...

https://youtu.be/4li0b63PL4g

Andy Hoffer

Hey @Oscar ,

Where are the runway and taxiway lights, or are these Cat III instrument takeoffs and landings??!  :D

Andy

davidk

@Oscar, you always select the perfect music.

Oscar

Thank you David.  Hope you like it.  :)

Andy - Are you suggesting we adding this on our next year geotextile improvement project?   It will be so cool.  ;D

davidk

Small solar cell embedded in one corner of the taxiway feeding a battery in a box, in the ground.  Battery powered LED light strips on a switch.  Simple, very bright and very cool.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: davidk on August 31, 2020, 12:23:12 PM
Small solar cell embedded in one corner of the taxiway feeding a battery in a box, in the ground.  Battery powered LED light strips on a switch.  Simple, very bright and very cool.

Excellent ideas @davidk .  of course, you will want the LED light strips to be case-hardened mil-spec UV resistant polycarbonate to endure the inevitable prop strikes!  Another inherently robust solution would be photoluminescent paint (https://coating.ca/photoluminescent-paint/), although LED's offer the potential for sequencing to provide runway approach lighting ("rabbit" runway lights) and runway end markers.

Andy

GuyOReilly

@Andy Hoffer , @davidk  and others who might be interested... :o
Not to be a kill-joy, but Canadian Aviation Regulations states:
"Prohibitions - 301.08 No person shall:
(f) at a place other than an aerodrome, knowingly display a marker, marking, light or signal that is likely to cause a person to believe that the place is an aerodrome;
(g) knowingly display at or in the vicinity of an aerodrome a marker, marking, sign, light or signal that is likely to be hazardous to aviation safety by causing glare or by causing confusion with or preventing clear visual perception of a marker, marking, sign, light or signal that is required under this Subpart..."

Sorry...   :P
Guy

Andy Hoffer

Good points @GuyOReilly , but one look at our distressed geotex runway and no one could possibly mistake our field for an aerodrome!!  And the proximity of the port-a-potty would further dissuade even the most naive pilot from concluding that Rogo Field comprises an aerodrome!  :)

Andy

sihinch

I dunno Andy, I've seen you almost leave the sky over our field!  ;D

gmcnic

aerodrome means any area of land, water (including the frozen surface thereof) or other supporting surface used, designed, prepared, equipped or set apart for use either in whole or in part for the arrival, departure, movement or servicing of aircraft and includes any buildings, installations and equipment situated thereon or associated therewith; (aérodrome)

aircraft means
•   (a) until the day on which paragraph (b) comes into force, any machine capable of deriving support in the atmosphere from reactions of the air, and includes a rocket; (aéronef)
•   (b) [Repealed before coming into force, 2008, c. 20, s. 3]

Aeronautics Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. A-2)

Seems it could be argued that Rogo Field is indeed an aerodrome.

Andy Hoffer

I always knew deep down in my soul that @gmcnic was always more than just a pretty face! I hereby defer.

So, case closed.  Rogo field is indeed an aerodrome.  We will have to get it properly certified and registered in the Canada Flight Supplement as a PPR (prior permission required) aerodrome and then add the runway lights.  We have the benefit of having a resident bona fide air traffic  controller, Rob Dickinson (@octagon) to maintain law and order in our airspace, which should be a novel experience!  I think we'll be designated as a Class "E" airspace, or Class "D" when Rob is in the port-a-potty (control tower).  I guess we should put together a VFR terminal procedures chart as well.  We might even consider designating our control zone as transponder airspace.  This will help in locating aircraft in the beans, of which I am full.  :D

Andy