SHORT SOLENT MARK IV – 2014 WINTER BUILD

Started by wollins, September 03, 2014, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Quote from: piker on March 15, 2015, 11:29:39 PM
I was only kidding when I said "shut up"   ;D   No update today?

Well I was most hurt and upset by that comment.  ;) So much so that I called my mommy and complained about being bullied by my RC plane friends.  She said "never mind son, here's what you do. Just "accidentally" step on one of their planes and that will make you feel better."  ;D

Ok, all kidding aside now ... no updates today but I'm excited about this week cause I closed the studio for March break so I'm hoping to get a fair bit done on this wing.

Colin     
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

Little bit of progress today. Partially sheeted the wing bottom, got the leading edges mostly finished and got some attachment points for the outer wings made. (third pic) His snap link system (shown in the third pic just to the right of the wing) seemed not robust enough for my wing so I used some T nuts.

Progress is slow but steady. :)

Colin 

|
|
|

sihinch

Nice sanding on the LE.  Keep it going Colin - spring is in the air......

wollins

Crap this is getting heavy.  I've "budgeted" 64 ounces for this wing (just the wood component) and we're up to 14ozs already and this is just the center piece without the nacelles and flaps.  :(

Colin
|
|
|

sihinch

It's alright - the wing tips will weigh less, they have a narrower chord!

Wingnutz

Colin,
Truly inspirational work for those of us who aspire to being able to build. I visit a few of the threads every time I need inspiration and your threads never disappoint. I think you really should consider one of those ugly birds...they both have a certain ugly weirdness that is...weirdly attractive
Jack,
"If Rogo is Michael Too, who is Michael One?"
Groan...
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Papa

Hey Colin, that landing gear in front of the wing is not scale and its too heavy.  That's where all your weight is.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

wollins

Quote from: Papa on March 17, 2015, 09:17:44 PM
Hey Colin, that landing gear in front of the wing is not scale and its too heavy.  That's where all your weight is.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Jack.

;D ;D ;D ;D
|
|
|

wollins

@Simon, yeah but they have those tip floats! We'll see how it pans out.

@Bill, thanks for the comments, it's comments from the members that keep ME inspired!

Ok, today I have an ambitious goal.  I want to complete the supporting structure for all four nacelles today!  :o Wish me luck ... will post progress report tonight.

Colin
|
|
|

piker

Awesome, Colin!  That wing looks great!

Papa

A motto to live by:

piker

You're already lucky to be home, working on your plane!

wollins

Quote from: wollins on March 18, 2015, 09:15:07 AM
Ok, today I have an ambitious goal.  I want to complete the supporting structure for all four nacelles today!  :o Wish me luck ... will post progress report tonight.

Colin

It never ceases to amaze me as to how wrong I can be in estimating time for a given project. :)  After five hours I just managed to do the mock up side rails. Took me an hour just to figure out what approach I was gonna use! Anyways, this was the time consuming part ... getting that fit just right. BTW, each of those "rails"/"frames" are made up of two separate pieces.

I also thought I would have to do some adjusting in terms of what the size of my nacelles should be since my airfoil was increased from the plans. Turns out that the nacelle size as per the plans IS the right size for the increased airfoil!  Full size nacelles are 133% and 145% of the airfoil respectively and that's roughly what they are now with mine.   

Anyways, now I just have to cut out my actual wood frames based on my foam mockups, do my cross braces,  add my formers, do my stringers (if sheeting), or do the planking, my motor mounts ... etc etc etc. Should be done by tomorrow night. (Yeah suuuuuurrrrreeee ... lol!) One day at a time, one step at a time.  I'm pleased with how it's coming though.

Colin.
|
|
|

Papa

Before you cut just make sure you have adequate propeller tip clearance for the props you plan to use.

jack.
A motto to live by:

wollins

Yeah, it'll fit up to 11 inchers but of course at those limits it would look kinda weird. (too close) In any event 10 inch four bladers were the intended props from the get go so it's all good.  :)

Colin
|
|
|