SHORT SOLENT MARK IV – 2014 WINTER BUILD

Started by wollins, September 03, 2014, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Broke out the trusty laser to make sure the outer wings are exactly even.  ;) The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter so we're getting there ... slowly but surely!  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

sihinch

wollins

Quote from: sihinch on April 26, 2015, 11:03:54 AM
Who lives in the tent in the corner?

The two girls rent it from time to time.  ;D

Ok not a heck of a lot has been done ... I'd hoped to be finished both outer wings and tips floats by last weekend and finishing the flaps today but ... I didn't cater for the good weather. Seems like when it gets nice outside the family wants to do stuff. Funny how that happens.  ::)  :)

Anyways, almost finished the left outside wing ... had to figure out how to make the join somewhat seamless with the center wing since my nacelles jutted out into the outer wing area a bit. (they're bigger than the ones in the plans which would have fit quite nicely.  ::))

What made it a little more complicated than it should have been was the fact that this plane has drooped leading edges from the outboard nacelles towards the wing tips.  So there was a disparity in the levels of leading edges at the join area. (Compare the LE to the left of the nacelle and the right of the nacelle in the last pic)

Anyway after much pondering I figured it out and am pleased to say I think it came out really nicely. (see "full fit" in pic #5) Since I had done all the ribs (left and right) together and I've already done my "pondering", the right side shouldn't take me nearly as long. Course I still have to do the LE shaping and the ailerons etc but that doesn't take any thought. :)

So ... progress IS being made ... albeit more slowly than I would have liked. Time to take advantage of this weather now and take a break from this wing ... I'll do my second sanding of the fuse. Tip floats next (after I finish these outer wings) then the dreaded flaps and then I onto the final stage ... covering etc!

Every spare moment I have is spent now trying to get this thing done so when I read about you guys racing etc, I envy you! 

Colin 

P.S. Course when I say the "final" stage I mean to the maiden.  With the plans I have for this beast in terms of detailing etc I can't see it being REALLY "done" until like our FunFly!
|
|
|

wollins

New Nooner wings!  ;D On a serious note ... got some more sanding of the fuse and the other side (outer wing) mostly done today.

Colin 
|
|
|

wollins

Guys, if I wanted to cover with layers of lighter weight FG (as opposed to just one heavier weight) would you lay it on at the time of the wetting process (immediately on top of the first or preceding layer) or would you wait until preceding layer is dry ... then sand as usual and THEN lay down your subsequent payer .... etc etc? I've never glassed with layers before.

Colin
|
|
|

Papa

I would do it one layer at a time, less chance of trapping air and making a bubble.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Frank v B

Colin,

Definitely one layer at a time for Jack's reason.  Coat the wing with a sealer and apply the glass with water-based urethane as per Ken Manuel's FFX fighters.  Much easier than glass or epoxy.  Lots of strength.

Caution: do not fold the fibreglass cloth around the trailing edge because it will bubble there.  Extend the glass cloth (top and bottom) past the trailing edge and then cut/sand off after curing.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

wollins

Thanks guys.  Got my last pre glassing sanding done today. She's as smooth as she's ever gonna get for this stage.  There comes a time when a guy just has to say "enough is enough". lol! After all there's a whole bunch more "filling and sanding" to come after glassing.  Then there's a bunch more after priming!  :(   

Colin

P.S Couldn't resist a shot with the two flying boats side by side.  ;D

|
|
|

wollins

Progress has been painfully sloooooowwww ... buy hey ... slow progress is better than no progress, right?  ;D Got my ailerons framed up and nav lights installed. (boy was that ever a PITA  >:()

Colin
|
|
|

Papa

You have heard or trifocals EH?

LOL

Jack.
A motto to live by:

wollins

What you talkin' about, my eyesight is perfect! Now where the heck is that bottle of glue that I just had here?  ;D
|
|
|

wollins

Outer wings attached. (mock up) At this stage they each weigh 5.5ozs and the goal weight for each is 10ozs.  I still have to add to that the tip floats, servo frames, attachment points and sheeting for each side so it might be tight.

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Tip floats framed up.
|
|
|

wollins

If there's anything that would make me quit the building aspect of this hobby it's planking ... specifically tip float planking. Thank god that's done.  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

Papa

Looks like something from Star Wars.

LOL

Jack.
A motto to live by: