SHORT SOLENT MARK IV – 2014 WINTER BUILD

Started by wollins, September 03, 2014, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Quote from: wollins on May 15, 2015, 04:49:21 PM
If there's anything that would make me quit the building aspect of this hobby it's planking ... specifically tip float planking.

On the other hand, I do love to carve and shape.  ;D Still a wee bit of filling and sanding to do but essentially the tip floats are done.

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

Started the process of trying to figure out how (and if) these scale Gouge flaps can be added to this plane.  This is the part I've been dreading from the start of the build and so I figured I'd leave it for last. Well, the time has come so nothing to do now but have at it.

As you can see from the diagram it's quite complex. Maybe that's why it was never modeled? (to my knowledge) Anyway, I'm giving myself a week tops to design it and if I can't by then it's "regular" flaps for me!

Colin
|
|
|

Crazyflyer

Hi Colin, since I am trying to learn as much as I can,  I just drew this up wondering if it would work as a decent structure for gouge flaps?
Having the main wing ribs with pins and have the flap ribs sandwich the main ribs.
Just curious. Thanks.

wollins

Hah! A variation of that very concept is what I intend to try if the track system proves too complicated or impractical. Jack was the one who first introduced me to the "variation". ;) Awesome ... great minds think alike?  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

pmackenzie

I think the gouge flaps would be very cool 8)
You might want to "push" them from both ends to make sure they move smoothly.
If you need any help with any machined bits (like G-10 rails for example) let me know.

Pat MacKenzie

wollins

Quote from: pmackenzie on May 19, 2015, 09:16:10 PM
You might want to "push" them from both ends to make sure they move smoothly.

That's my biggest concern, Pat.  For this to work without binding (which can be disastrous  ... imagine ONE binding in flight!) the fit has to be extremely precise and the movement has to be very smooth and also very precise.  I find it quite daunting to be honest. Have a feeling I'm over my head on this one but we'll see.  I'm starting some mock ups tomorrow.

Colin.

P.S. BTW, I appreciate your offer.
|
|
|

wollins

Ok the multi track system will not work. (for me) However ... I'm working on something that has at least a 50/50 chance of working.  ;D Will know by tomorrow night if it'll work. Stay tuned!  :)

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

I actually think I might just get this whole flap thing to work.  ;D Now this comment might be a bit premature but while I've come to the conclusion that my mock up can only go so far in determining whether I can overcome the biggest challenge of this, (binding) it does look promising.  You can see in the video that it does move as evenly as can be expected given the fact that everything is bendy and flexy in my mockup. This is even without a feature I intend to incorporate to ensure that it does not bind. The geometry works so now I will actually commit to building the real thing (on one side) incorporating my idea to stop any binding.

I'm no engineer but common sense tells me that the first thing that needs to be done is to make sure that the supporting structure and the flap itself needs to be extremely rigid given the fact that it's only being supported at the sides. (with the sliding pins)

My plan originally was to build it really tight at the sides thereby decreasing any side to side shifting ... thereby cutting down the chances of binding. However because we're dealing with wood here, if those tolerances are too tight now you have binding just based on contact friction. Then I thought no probs I'll cover the sides with something really slick (CF sheet or G10 sheet?) and wax or somehow lube them from time to time. Then I thought ... are you kidding??? Who's got the time (or the memory) to be waxing flaps from time to time? lol!  Scale isn't worth THAT much effort ... its not like this is gonna win some award at Scale Masters or anything!

So... the plan now is to make the tolerances "normal" but run a guide "trough" or track in the middle of the flap with a couple of corresponding guide pins to make it run perfectly straight through the entire throw/movement. Hard to explain but with any luck it'll work and you be able to see what I mean then.  :)  So if it does work, the mechanics won't be scale but the movement will ... and that's all that matters cause that's what people will see right? ;)

Colin   

P.S. My apologies for the video quality ... I was holding my phone in my right hand over my shoulder while trying to move the flap with my left hand. :)

https://youtu.be/2SxjoIDVB0s
|
|
|

Papa

That will work fine. If using wood to wood contact then rub lots of candle wax into the wood. That will lubricate it. Use stubs of good quality candles. Try that out.

jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Papa

Another alternative would be to cover all the contact points in Polyurethane and use a little Vaseline as a lubricant.

jack.
A motto to live by:

wollins

Was at Hobby King to get some stuff and saw this little "distraction" on sale. So ... I got it. Took a break from the Solent and put this together in about the same time it would take me to frame up one aileron of the Solent! Gotta love an ARF.  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

Papa

SO, gonna fly it tomorrow afternoon EH!?

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Michael

Michael

sihinch

wollins

Quote from: Papa on May 24, 2015, 08:11:18 PM
SO, gonna fly it tomorrow afternoon EH!?

Jack.

Was gonna fly it today but realized I haven't renewed MAAC (or Temac for that matter ... ooops!) yet.
|
|
|