SHORT SOLENT MARK IV – 2014 WINTER BUILD

Started by wollins, September 03, 2014, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Quote from: Michael on May 24, 2015, 08:26:22 PM
Quote from: wollins on May 24, 2015, 07:44:28 PM
Was at Hobby King to get some stuff ....

Colin

Hobby King?

Sorry, should have said I was visiting Hobby King's website.
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

Ok back to the build.  Finished up the flap supports with their respective CF tracks. Just have to neaten them up by sanding the pin support blocks to match the outline of the supports. Now onto framing up the actual flaps.

Colin 

P.S BTW, pics #2 and #3 are not the same. ;) In the third pic, the CF track have been surrounded/overlaid with 1/32 ply. 
|
|
|

Papa

Looks very scale in the amount of movement.

Nice work.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

wollins

Yeah there's not a heck of a lot of movement relative to our typical RC throws.  It does add an additional 50 sq inches or so to the wing area though since it extends the chord unlike other "regular" flaps.

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Ok some progress. Did the mock ups. Even though this was a mock up I had to position my servos for real to make sure that the geometry was correct. I have to say they're moving quite smoothly. So much so that I'm tempted to run them just like this without my tracking system. (K.I.S.S. principle?)

Won't be long now ... this was the last major construction piece! Course the jury is still out on whether they will track without binding/jamming under "real" conditions (wind) so I still have to run some tests to come to a final verdict.  I have quite an innovative test in mind which will put this concern to rest once and for all. ;) Stay tuned!  ;D

Colin

https://youtu.be/c3iJzRGYNYU
|
|
|

Papa

I do believe you've got it.

Looks great, and no holding them out the window of the car at 60 mph while Maya works the switch is not a great idea.

LOL

Jack
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

wollins

Quote from: Papa on May 29, 2015, 08:38:38 PM
no holding them out the window of the car at 60 mph while Maya works the switch is not a great idea.

LOL

Jack

Jack, I had a REALLY stressful day today and what you said above gave me such a visual that I almost laughed until I cried! Thanks!  :) BTW, this thread has become so long and tedious that I think it's just you and me left buddy!  We've lost the others ... however I did warn folks when I started that this was gonna be a marathon and listening to my long winded ramblings about the various issues I'm encountering (helps me to solve them) is not for the faint of heart.  ;D ;D

Colin

P.S. My "wind test" is actually more creative than your suggestion.  ;)     
|
|
|

Michael

Michael

wollins

|
|
|

piker

Yep!  We're all still here and really appreciating the fine work you're doing. 

Keep going and keep us entertained   ;D

BTW, the flaps look fantastic!

octagon

Hi Colin,
I follow the thread but do not comment much, just kind of a lurker I guess. I am in envy of your skill and tenacity. Great job and looking forward to seeing the beast fly.
What could possibly go wrong?

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

wollins

FLaps COMPLETE! Waiting for a break in the weather for "wind testing".  ;D ;D

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Wind Test #1 completed - SUCCESS! No jamming or binding at all with this high speed floor fan test.  Wind Test # 2 (the REAL test) within the hour.

Colin   

https://youtu.be/US3YVHT0x8U
|
|
|