SHORT SOLENT MARK IV – 2014 WINTER BUILD

Started by wollins, September 03, 2014, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Is this a spot the difference competition? There really is no difference is there?!

wollins

Yup, the tip needed rounding off a bit. Very subtle to most (since they're not building it) but glaring to me. ;D ;D ;D
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Papa

That  is nicely rounded off and looks spot on.

The rudder looks like it is increased in area, slightly, as is common on most scale models.

But as my Dad always said:

"A man on a galloping horse wouldn't notice it".

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

wollins

Well there was a bit of a disaster tonight. I was painting the fuse with my chosen rattle can paint (Rustoleum winter grey -Glossy from Hdepot) and it was upside down and anchored on the table outside ... went inside for a no more than a minute and came back outside and there's the plane on the ground.  :o

A wind gust literally picked it up (despite being anchored) and flung it completely off the table.  >:( Broke the H stab from the fuse which was only saved from being 100% severed because of the CF wing joiner. Obviously fixable but just one more thing to delay this build.  The other thing I'm worried about is I don't know if there was internal damage (wing joiner severed inside) so don't know if I should break the fuse (tail) open completely to find out.    >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Colin
|
|
|

sihinch

Oh no. So sorry Colin. Hope there's nothing too bad in there.

wollins

I know ... but hey, everything happens for the best ... chances are I'll make it stronger through the repairs. More frustrated with myself for letting it happen than the damage itself cause it could have been MUCH worse.

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Progress ... I'm loving how the rattle can Rustoleum winter grey (Glossy) from Home depot turned out!

Colin

P.S. Last pic shows H stab repair. (or doesn't show it? ;))
|
|
|

Papa

Looking soooo good Colin.

That 'head on' shot shows the enormous depth of the fuselage compared to a land plane. It must be 3 to 4 times higher.

What repair, I don't see no friggin' repair?

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

wollins

Quote from: Papa on August 13, 2015, 12:31:01 AM
What repair, I don't see no friggin' repair?

Jack.

Yeah I'm proud of that repair cause it can't be seen! lol!  The left H stab had been partially broken off at the fuse from the fall off the table.

Colin
|
|
|

Michael

Michael

piker

The Solent looks fantastic!  It'll be ready to fly soon, right?

wollins

Thanks guys!

Quote from: piker on August 13, 2015, 02:09:13 PM
The Solent looks fantastic!  It'll be ready to fly soon, right?

Nope, as you know I was hoping for this weekend but had to put her aside (AGAIN!) cause I want to get my Aichi Val done for Sunday.  :o Will the rush ever end?  ::) This I promise, she WILL be at the Temac funfly in a flyable state. (but I'm aiming to test fly before then obviously)

Colin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOvR2KjzqDU
|
|
|

wollins

BTW the Solent's passengers won't be allowed to see outside during the test flight ... for their safety in case of a worse case scenario. You'll notice from the second pic that they're all shuttered up! ;)

Colin
|
|
|

sihinch

It might be like the NASA zero G plane!!

Amazing build.

wollins

Those who know me know how I "love" covering ... so I was not looking forward to doing the center wing (that's why it was left for last) especially with the nacelles.  As a matter off fact I can't begin to tell you how many times I debated whether or not to just paint the entire wing!  I had never covered rounded nacelles before and have heard that they can be quite challenging.

Anyway I decided to start at the bottom of the wing figuring that any screw-ups will be less noticeable there and I should get better by the time I get to the top. Well, it actually came out much better than I expected so the top should come out just fine. whew!

Colin
|
|
|