Pick your kit to build this winter!

Started by Papa, September 16, 2015, 10:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

Attached is the plan I found for a CL-215. It's a PDF file so I can take it to my local print shop and have them print it almost any size(probably not full size) but I like the size the original model was built...76" (1900mm?) WS
I'm considering a mostly foam model...hot wire cut wing cores sheeted with balsa and a depron fuse...probably some light ply on the bottom of the hull ahead of the step. I've used Econokote to cover depron and pink foam on several models so as long as I can find yellow, I should be set.
Any suggestions before I set out on yet another building adventure  ;D [size=78%]appreciated[/size]
The 215 is a favourite of mine for several reasons, including the fact that one of them almost gave me a free car wash as I was driving down a cottage road near North Bay!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Frank v B

Andy,

Wait till you see my new race plane tomorrow.  I will bring it out just before the Nooner race.  It sounds and looks familiar.

re: Wondering if I could sign up for @Frank v B's advanced master class!

Andy

Hornet%20RED%20and
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on September 19, 2015, 07:59:21 PM
Andy,

Wait till you see my new race plane tomorrow.  I will bring it out just before the Nooner race.  It sounds and looks familiar.

re: Wondering if I could sign up for @Frank v B's advanced master class!

Andy

Hornet%20RED%20and

It is with huge regret that I have to allow you another torment-free race day (although my "new" reconstituted Nooner is ready to crash again!).  It's Cessna time (not quite as fast as a Nooner, but adequate) and I'm off to Oshawa and Peterborough.  Have a wonderful day surprising the skeptics.  Do send pictures of your new race plane!

Cheers!

Andy

piker

Quote from: Wingnutz on September 19, 2015, 07:42:20 AM
Attached is the plan I found for a CL-215.

Hey Bill!  Those are the plans I used...ordered from RCM in the late 80's...

But I did modify the shape of the model as I went along and I seriously lightened their suggested structure, which I'm sure you will do too :-)

The areas I changed were the cockpit shape, the nacelles, and the fin/rudder and I believe they just call for a stab.  Still, without modifying it's shape it would still be a very nice, scale model

I didn't change the wing or hull design.  They are a little off as the wing has about 1" more cord than scale, and the V of the hull is shallower.  Both deviations from scale that make a better performing model, I believe.

Awesome choice!!!    ;D

Michael

I haven't made any commitments to building anything, but I would also consider building a foam (Depron) waterbomber.

I scratch-built a 60" version several years ago, and at 26 ounces, it was an amazing flyer.

Michael

Wingnutz

Quote from: piker on September 20, 2015, 10:41:33 AM
Quote from: Wingnutz on September 19, 2015, 07:42:20 AM
Attached is the plan I found for a CL-215.

Hey Bill!  Those are the plans I used...ordered from RCM in the late 80's...

But I did modify the shape of the model as I went along and I seriously lightened their suggested structure, which I'm sure you will do too :-)

The areas I changed were the cockpit shape, the nacelles, and the fin/rudder and I believe they just call for a stab.  Still, without modifying it's shape it would still be a very nice, scale model

I didn't change the wing or hull design.  They are a little off as the wing has about 1" more cord than scale, and the V of the hull is shallower.  Both deviations from scale that make a better performing model, I believe.

Awesome choice!!!    ;D
Rob,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Michael, I hope you build one too. With Rob's yours and mine working together, we'll be able to put out some serious forest fires!
Rob, I got the plans from a site called Aerofred.com...price was right!
As I plan the model in my head, I'm having difficulty figuring out the wing, if I hot wire cut foam cores. Any advice or thoughts appreciated.
1. One complete wing or three sections?
1a. If three sections, how do I secure the outer sections to the centre section for flying?
2. The plan calls for no wing diahedral, but I'm still not sure how to construct/embed/sink spars into a foam core wing that size. My initial thoughts are to epoxy plywood spars in slots cut in the foam cores as I can't figure out any way to accurately drill/bore holes for carbon or aluminum tubes in the foam cores. The core with spars glued in place would then be balsa sheeted and covered with Econokote.
3. The motor mount beams present another problem...two ply beams/ribs "egg -crated" with the main and drag spar?
Any advice appreciated and needed!

Q

Michael

I'm thinking of scratch-building something like this, maybe 80" wingspan.

Michael

bweaver

Michael,
Looks like an interesting civilian project.  Almost full size then eh?

BJROB

So a while back it was mentioned about building a DonMcGovern Navigator flying boat.  It is about a .10 size plane.
I'd like to build this one.... It looks so sweet.... ::)
but being a newbie here.... and I can't wait to get started... ;D
Does any one have plans???

My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Crazyflyer

Hi BJ, Great looking plane.
I found a PDF on: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265873&page=9  on the second last post Jetco Navigator seaplane from Planeman. You can just click on the link and it will open the PDF that you can have printed.
The file is 1.5mb so too large for me to attach on this message board.

Quote from: BJROB on September 22, 2015, 06:48:02 AM
So a while back it was mentioned about building a DonMcGovern Navigator flying boat.  It is about a .10 size plane.

piker

Hey BJ,

If the download doesn't work for you, I have a set of the plans that I built my Navigator from several years ago.  The plans in the kit didn't offer the rib or all bulkhead shapes, but I recall that I traced my parts before building.

I was lucky to get a kit from a guy in California (via News Groups on the then fancy new Internet thing-a-ma-jig... 1995ish) who had bought it in the late '60's or early 70's.  I remained faithful to the kit and used all the wood except the crappy ply that was provided.  I built mine for electric power and flew it for many, many, flights over the years from 1996.  I still have it and have stripped the covering off for a refresh.  I hope to get to that recovering this winter... maybe  ;D

Bill,

I don't know what would be appropriate for a structural member in a foam wing that size without sheeting.  Thinking out loud I guess I would plan on a full depth I bean spar (spar caps and shear webs) with the center section boxed to accept a joiner.  That is how I built my CL-215 wing so it could be separated at the root.  I used to separate the wings for transport, then eventually just left them joined for transport after I built my first trailer.  When I recovered the plane recently I glued the wings together permanently.

piker

Hey Bill,

I just realized I didn't answer all of your questions.  Maybe we should get together and talk it over.  If you can wait for the first class, that would be best as others can participate and we can all learn together.  If you CAN'T wait... we are scheduled for a float fly at Frenchman's Bay this Saturday.  Maybe you can make it to that?  I'll post about the event today.

Michael!  Cool plane.  That's not the Heath Parasol, is it?  I'm REALLY liking the seaplane theme!  If you guys (everybody and anybody) are willing to make the trip to my new place, I'm willing to fly from the lake at any time  ;D

Wingnutz

LMK when you wanna float fly at your new place...I'm there. Flew at Port Perry this morning with the SFF guys...the idea of flying out of your/my backyard is really attractive(sorry, all I have in the backyard so far is a pool but I'm working on the waterfront thing)
Will try to make the Saturday Float Fly...after the Jets Day Fun Fly...phew! Busy day! Questions can wait 'til first class...while the weather's this nice...FLY!

Wingnutz

Quote from: BJROB on September 22, 2015, 06:48:02 AM
BJ
LMK if this is what you want...or PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the link/plans.

piker

That looks like a good plan.  It shows the ribs and bulkhead (former?) sections as needed.

Hey!  Since we're talking about float flying... Here's a picture from my place this morning before I had one of the nicest flights I've ever enjoyed.  A great way to start the day before I head into the city for work.   ;D