Pick your kit to build this winter!

Started by Papa, September 16, 2015, 10:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashman001

Hey guys, I was thinking about this and thought maybe I should plan for the future and build a plane for intermediate skill rather than another beginner plane, which I already have.  My thinking is building the below over the winter.  It's for novice builders but I'm sure the expert advise I will get at the builder classes will help over come my inexperience. 

http://www.mountainmodels.com/product_info.php?products_id=201

It might not be suitable for indoor flying but that's ok,...by summer next year I should be ready for the Mustang.  However the plane above is gas powered...I believe it can be fitted for electric...can someone confirm this for me? 

I tried to contact Mountain Models but still no reply.

Thanks,

Ash

sihinch

I have that kit too! Still waiting to be built.

Yes, it can be electric powered. There's a great thread on RCGroups on it.

fasteddie

OK Last post on this topic(I hope)
At the risk of boring y'all I have reconsidered (again)
The Sig Kadet Mark II already has ailerons and less dihedral than the Seniorita so that is my final!! decision
I still want to sheet the wings and maybe make them flat
$Ed
Aera et terram imperare

Wingnutz

Ed,
Consider your decision about changing the Kadet II wings carefully. SIG has been in the business of offering kits for a long time and are generally regarded as pretty solid in their offerings.
This model was designed for wet fuel motors which means it's already more rugged than it need be for electric.
I suspect that taking out the dihedral and sheeting the wings will have noticeable effects on the model's flight characteristics, none of which are likely to be positive...build for flight, not for crashing.
Whatever you do, have fun.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Ashman001

Hey guys,

Seeing how this will be my first ever attempt to build a balsa wood kit, what tools do I need.  I found this on the web...should I follow this as my guide?

http://www.balsaworkbench.com/?page_id=180

Thanks,

Ash

piker

Hey Ash.  I'm sure Frank will cover tool selection and other "getting started" tid-bits during the first class.

However, just looking at the pictures on your link... that looks right to me.  Glue, sanding block, cutting tools, pins, straight edge, and a flat building board (I cover mine with pink foam to accept pins... others use drywall or ceiling tiles, etc.).  Beyond that you can start to think about a Dremel and other simple power tools, but don't worry about that for your first build.  Oh, and you'll need a covering iron eventually.

Oscar

Hi Ash

Last year, I signed up my first ever balsa built class. I was like you, not knowing what tools to pick.  Jack spent the time summarzing on what tools we need in building the plane.  Below is the email that Jack sent to our last year class.

Note: I bought most of the stuff in pinnacle hobby and home depot.

I hope this help.

Oscar

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 16:42:09 -0400
Subject: RedEagle Build Class, update.
To:

Since the meeting on Monday I realized that I might need more than a list of basic tools. So I did a list with images as, for some, the technical terms are new. These will come with time but in the meantime please read magazines and other sources to develop your vocabulary.

Richard posted some links to excellent articles that will help in this regard. please check the web site constantly as that is where we do most of our communicating.

At the next class bring the boards and tools and we will start building. You will need the plan and the parts for the fin, rudder and stabilizer. Make sure you have sanded the "nubs" off, at home, so we don't make a mess of the party room floor.

This list of tools is very basic but one principle applies. "Buy the best you can afford". If you do you will have these tools for the rest of your life. Check out "Princess Auto" for more unusual tools at cheaper prices.

Jack.

octagon

After much deliberation, and inspired by Rudy's presentation at the Pilot's meeting, I have settled on the Great Planes Taylorcraft 20 size as a winter build. Got the kit today. Now to clear the table and get to work. It is designed as a nitro or gas plane, but should be easy to convert. I find the most challenging thing about and electric conversion (all 2 of them I have done) is figuring out how to make the battery easy to access. I am looking forward to getting started.

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0155.html
What could possibly go wrong?

sihinch

Ash, I think you were asking about the Laser Arts Mustang thread on RCGroups?  Here it is:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389833

sihinch

Skyking

I want to build a sea dart.
Wheb do we start?
Actually, I can.

Frank v B

SkyKen,

I have the patterns for Rudie's Sea Dart that he presented at the meeting.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Ashman001

Thanks Simon,

See you guys at the field tomorrow...is that rain or shine?