Build Class- beginner/intermediate- this coming Wednesday, Nov 4

Started by Frank v B, October 29, 2015, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Reminder- the second beginner/intermediate build class will meet this coming Wednesday at 7 pm at Cl. Mustard's in the basement... after we devour some food upstairs starting at 6 pm.

This week we will cover:
- finish the talk last meeting about repairs.  I will repair the wing of the EF 1 in class and the Apprentice rudder.  This should take about an hour with questions, comments and insults. :D
- start our build class.  If you are building from a kit, bring the kit.  If you are building from plans (scratch) bring the plans.  Ask questions, make observations, etc.
- I will start building the Navigator tail feathers.  I will cover- building board, essential tools, how to cut out ribs and how to build on top of plans.

This will get you set to build at home after the meeting or build during the class if you wish.

It is our plan to assign coaches to each student depending on needs.  We are still figuring out how to clone Piker.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on October 29, 2015, 09:18:23 PM

It is our plan to assign coaches to each student depending on needs.  We are still figuring out how to clone Piker.

Frank

Just send a couple photos of him to Hobby King and they'll do the rest!!  Alternative is a full-body scan at the airport and input that to a 3D printer.  We could sell tickets to that one!  :D

Andy

piker

That's very kind of you to say, Frank, but really, Michael, Simon, myself, and any other experienced modellers that come out to offer assistance are only there because we need more you YOU at these meetings.  If it wasn't for you, we'd all just sit around and gab... and get nothing done.  That is what happened at the meeting this week   :)

I'm looking forward to the next build class.  It's always so much fun to get together, have dinner, listen to Michael's jokes, and talk building.

I hope a lot of member come out and learn the joys of building.

sihinch

I bought most of my balsa wood and photocopied parts of my plan for stencils!  :)

But I'm on an Air Canada flight to the UK on Wednesday.  So if someone could start my build for me....... ;D

Frank v B

Simon

re: "I'm on an Air Canada flight to the UK on Wednesday."

1) stay out of the cockpit! 
2) No buddy box cord from economy (steerage) class to the cockpit.

Enjoy your visit.  Safe home.

Frank 8)

Frank v B

I just happened upon a store closing sale at Radio Controlled Hobbies at Hiway 7 and 27 in Woodbridge a week ago.  The store was not open but just as I pulled up Arden from A&J came out and said "hello" to me.  I asked the owner of the store if he had some balsa for sale and he said "quickly.  50% off!".  The store is closed and I am prepping for the final sale day (last) Saturday.  Ran in and bought half a forest of 1/16 x 6 x 36 for wings and general sheeting.  Bud Nosen Balsa.  Above average quality but not contest grade.

I have been buying my balsa there for the last 5 years.

There goes another hobby shop!  :'(

Frank

Wingnutz

Quote from: Frank v B on October 30, 2015, 05:40:29 PM

I have been buying my balsa there for the last 5 years.

There goes another hobby shop!  :'(

Frank

Another casualty of the internet purchased Buy Fly Crash entertainment approach to what used to be a hobby
Build, fly, crash-> hobby
Buy, fly, crash -> entertainment
Good on ya Frank, Rob, Michael, Simon for offering a chance to learn to enjoy RCing as a hobby!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Ashman001

Wow, Radio Controlled is close to my work.  I've gone in a few times, guess I need to make another visit soon.

Ash

Ashman001

First of all, the beginner classes have been great and given me the confidence to start building my first kit.  So far I've just pinned balsa to the plans using T pins.  Couple of questions:

- The instructions call for gluing fuselage using thin CA...but i think i heard an instructor say use thin CA for hinges and such...So should I glue the fuselage using thin or medium CA?
- How should i glue?  Should I trace the glue along the cut strip or just dap the glue in key spots, marked "x" on the attached.  Don't want to be one of those guys that over
  does it with glue.  ;)

Thanks,

Ash

Frank v B

Ash,

I strongly recommend you follow the instructions in the book.  When you see dovetail joints in the tail section just below the stab you can tell it was made for thin CA.  Use thin on the rest of the fuselage and maybe a drop of medium afterwards on the joints that have 3 pieces of wood coming together (midsection).

Frank

Ashman001