next Beginner/intermediate build class Wed. Nov 25

Started by Frank v B, November 13, 2015, 07:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Great job, Andy!

I had a lot of fun last night at the Build Group Get Together.  Notice I called it a "build group get together" rather than the Beginners class...  That's because it really is more of a mixed bag of brand new builders, and more experienced builders.  This makes the evening a lot of fun, as there are conversations taking place from, basics of building, to repair techniques, to modification of gas designs, to more advances solutions to building challenges.

We had a great group out for dinner and even more for the build group.  I think Franks mention 18 members... is that right, Frank?

There were all sorts of various activities spread across the room and several building tables on the go.  It was fantastic to see the progress some of the new builders are making.  I was so busy chatting, I didn't even get a chance to see everything there.

As it got a bit later and the group started to thin out, Frank, Ken C., and I stayed for a bit and worked on our builds.  I was able to finish the stabilizer for the Amptique build, and Ken made further progress on his Navigator stab.  We finally left at about 10:30.

I know the idea of getting together to build model airplanes doesn't appeal to everyone, but I had a great time and hope that others did too.

Thanks for coming out, guys!

octagon

It is great to be able to get together with a bunch of guys who share the same interest. For those of us not as experienced as others, the resource of you who are more experienced in invaluable. So far this build class has helped me solve 4 problems converting my build from nitro/gas to electric. Thanks to Frank, Michael and Piker, very much appreciate the time you guys commit to the club.
What could possibly go wrong?

sihinch

Hear, hear! I agree.

After being away on vacation in November, it was great to get back to talking airplanes with good friends. I'd missed you all!!!

I had to do some interviews at work on Nightshift so left a little early, but very glad to progress my build.  I managed to get all my parts cut except the ply formers (I think that's what they're called?)

Thanks for coming everyone. It was a great build get together. Thanks to Robert and Frank for leading the rabble!

Frank v B

Look at it from our point-of-view.... we were able to get together with 18 people, yes 18! and learn/share/BS about building model airplanes with balsa.  It was as busy as a Pilots Meeting. ;D

We still have to publish the direction of the next build class but it is neat to see members sort out and start their models-of-choice.  I am sure for the next meeting we will focus on the member projects while Piker continues to sniff glue in his own corner... 'cause it is the only building he can get done after his move. :D

Neat to see everyone out there.  You know Rob, Michael and I consider this absolute punishment. ;).  Happy to do it.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

We sure are happy to do it.  My wife always changes the subject as soon as I mention airplanes, so it's nice to get together with "the guys" every once in a while... as you guys, at least pretend to be interested  ;D

Frank... my goal is to use the build group to work on the Amptique (mostly), not because I have no time at home.  In fact, I have a little house construction breathing room for the winter as the major stuff needs to wait until Spring.  But at home I'm working on my other winter airplane building project.

Wingnutz

My thanks to the experienced builders (and BSers ;D) who showed up Wed night. Enjoyed watching the builders and sifting through the BS to learn more.
I think Frank and I are the only survivors of the original Norseman class...(2012 or 2013 start? Can't remember!) and WOW!, things have changed!
But as a measure of success of the evolving "class/get-together" format, I can't remeber another get-together where we had 18 people!
Well done TEMAC!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!