Next build class Wed Jan 20-2016

Started by Frank v B, December 18, 2015, 08:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

The next build class will be Wednesday Jan 20 at Col Mustard's.  The topics Rob and I will cover are:
- sanding the airframe before covering
- covering a model 101

We would like you to bring your projects in whatever stage you are at.  This is not a rush to the finish line.  We want to get there at your speed.

It worked well that each builder had a private coach to guide them.  Simon helped Malcolm, several coaches helped ASH (I hope we did not confuse you), I answered (I hope) Rob Dickinson's questions on motor positioning and strut attachment, and BJ stood over Piker to make sure he did not make any mistakes building his Amptique. ;D

Happy New year....... and may balsa dust be part of your New Year's resolution.

Frank

Rob D., I bought a package of pin hinges today for strut mounting.  I will get some to you.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Wingnutz

Frank,
Thanks for keeping the builders amongst us united...very grateful. I have written Build Class January 20th on my calendar so if anything else comes up, I'm already booked. ;D
After much cogitating about what to build this winter(?), finally put the band saw to the plywood, so hopefully, I'll have something for Show and Tell.
Happy Holiday Building all!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Frank v B

My build- update:

My Mr. Shifter pattern plane (62" span, Power 60, flaps) is well under way.  The fuse is built with the motor in place.  The fin/rudder and stab/elevator are built but not attached.
During the Jan 20 build class I will be building one half of the wing.  It is double-tapered.  I will show you how to make ribs for a tapered wing when you only have a root rib and a tip rib*, lay out the leading and trailing edge and glue them in place.

Frank

* the original design had a foam wing.  Google "Mr. Shifter design by John Rutter"

"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Wingnutz on December 23, 2015, 11:30:29 AM
Frank,
Thanks for keeping the builders amongst us united...very grateful. I have written Build Class January 20th on my calendar so if anything else comes up, I'm already booked. ;D
After much cogitating about what to build this winter(?), finally put the band saw to the plywood, so hopefully, I'll have something for Show and Tell.
Happy Holiday Building all!

Looking forward to seeing your sawdust collection. ;D

Andy

Ashman001

Hi guys,

Just getting to the part of my build where i need to install the retracts.  The plans call for bending metal rods for the landing gear, is there an easy way to do this?  Finding it hard to do accurately with pliers.  Found the below youtube, should I be investing in this?  Or does anyone have any other suggestions.   ???

http://youtu.be/OIOXfqDXuV0

Thanks,

Ash

Wingnutz

Ash, how thick is the wire you're trying to bend and how complicated are the bends you have to make?

piker

Ash,

I have a bender for medium size wire that MAY work for the smaller wire I assume you'll be using on your plane.  I'll bring it to the meeting tomorrow evening for you to take a look at, and borrow if you like.

Robert

Ashman001

Thanks Rob that would be great!

attached is the wire size and the shape I need to bend.

see you guys tonight.

Ash

piker

I think last night's build class went very well.  I don't know if Simon agrees  ;D ,but I think the opportunity for show and tell, from those building models, was very entertaining and educational for the group, and very helpful for the builders to get some questions answered.

sihinch

I think it was fantastic. And great fun. Bravo to everyone for all the progress being made.

bweaver

I really enjoyed it and got all my questions answered.  My project is back on track. Thanks guys.

BJROB

What a fun night it was. ;D
It was very interesting to hear the number of variations to a single question, :-\
all the unknown became more un-known  ??? but it was a very interesting night.   
I took a look at the time and wow where did the night go.
Awesome night very glad I was there  :)
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Wingnutz

Quote from: sihinch on January 21, 2016, 01:14:12 PM
I think it was fantastic. And great fun. Bravo to everyone for all the progress being made.
Even Simon (who didn't agree with anything Rob, Frank or Michael said ;D) agrees it was a great night! Me too and I now understand why the wings won't fall off of Rob's Stranraer or Michael's Tiger Moth! (assuming they remember to attach the triangulation bracing!) ;D

sihinch

Hang on! I didn't disagree with Frank!

Michael

Quote from: sihinch on January 22, 2016, 08:44:47 AM
Hang on! I didn't disagree with Frank!

That's 'cause he was quiet while you were there, and only started to talk once you left.  ;D

Actually, it was a terrific meeting. I was so inspired, that even though I had other things to do that evening and didn't get home until about midnight, I did some work on a model airplane.

Michael