75th Anniversary B of B Sept. 15 ...

Started by Wingnutz, September 03, 2015, 08:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

Tuesday Sept 15 marks the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, generally regarded as the greatest air battle ever fought. I'm going to take my Hurricane and Spitfire(yeah, I know, the Spitfire has invasion stripes and it's not really BofB) to patrol the skies over ROGO in tribute.
Weather permitting on Sept 15, bring your Bf109, Hurricane, Spit or HE111(Andre) around 5 til dusk and do a victory roll or two or some formation patrolling yourself(nothing need be actually shot down to do the roll)
In the best RAF tradition, after flying, I may retire to the local pub...does Sgt Pepper's in Stouffville sound British enough? :)
This is not an official TEMAC event but I posted here because it'll be at ROGO.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

battlestu

sounds like fun... i'll be there to get some photos :)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Gregor77

RogMason

Great idea Bill. 

I don't have a Spitfire, Hurricane, Me109, Me110 ...etc.,  however, I will be there to 'salute' the flypast :-)
(Of course, the beer afterwards is also an attraction).

Speaking of Spitfires, I am in the market for one.  I doubt I can acquire one before the 15th, as I have no idea as to which model would be best for my inexperienced flying talents.  (It occurs to me that I probably have the same number of RC hours under my belt (9-10 hr total), as a raw RAF fighter pilot had solo on a Spitfire when joining a squadron during the Battle of Britain! And I don't have to go up against that incredible air armada. What brave young soles that were?)

Any suggestions/recommendations from yourself or anyone reading this post - for a nice Spitfire, would be greatly appreciated.

Over and out.

'Roger that...'

'Roger That...'

sihinch

Wingnutz

Quote from: RogMason on September 09, 2015, 08:53:18 PM
Great idea Bill. 

I don't have a Spitfire, Hurricane, Me109, Me110 ...etc.,  however, I will be there to 'salute' the flypast :-)
(Of course, the beer afterwards is also an attraction).

Speaking of Spitfires, I am in the market for one.  I doubt I can acquire one before the 15th, as I have no idea as to which model would be best for my inexperienced flying talents.  (It occurs to me that I probably have the same number of RC hours under my belt (9-10 hr total), as a raw RAF fighter pilot had solo on a Spitfire when joining a squadron during the Battle of Britain! And I don't have to go up against that incredible air armada. What brave young soles that were?)

Any suggestions/recommendations from yourself or anyone reading this post - for a nice Spitfire, would be greatly appreciated.

Over and out.
'Roger that...'

Roger,
Agree with Simon's suggestion about looking on RCC...and your comment about beer!
As far as a user friendly warbird RC model, I'd suggest you consider a foamie...they're easier to repair than balsa/ply models. Also try to find something with relatively light wing loading (I know you worked for DH and have a better grasp of what that means than many RCers) Many RC warbirds suffer from high wing loading raising their stall speed and making them prone to tip stall, especially as you're slowing down on approach for landing...😁
The lighter the better...choose or build for flying, not crashing!
A Hurricane might be an easier choice to deal with than a Spitfire (or bf 109)...the Hurricane's wide track undercarriage is more stable than a Spitfire's narrow track ...ground handling should be better.
The whole warbird retract, scale take off and landing thing is one of the greatest joys of this genre of model but it demands skill! Only a few guys in our club do it well. (I'm still practising here!) Unless you want to deal with torque steer, precession, slipstream steering on take off, tip stalls on landings and nose overs on both, you might consider removing retracts, hand launching and belly landing a light model(it'll be lighter without the retracts anyway)
Short list?
e-Flite Hurricane from RCC ...great retracts "trainer" but no longer in production
e-Flite Spitfire
Parkzone Spitfire...
Whatever you do, have fun! See you at the field!

Wingnutz

Gregor77

I have to dig in the hangar and find some other BOB planes (Most of mine are after 44).  Maybe over the winter we consider a quick (Come to Cadez's place for some beers and bits) and paint up some Dynam Spits again to represent BOB colours?  Cliff has the last remaining Dynam plane (I think) Buzz Berlins (But not from BOB). At least it is brown and green.

Gregor77

Ok, I found an ME109...  We need to get Glenn out here with his as they are similar colours.  Would be nice to have some balance than having all Hurricans and Spitfires up!  ::)

Wingnutz

Can bring a small semi scale Ken Manuel bf109, but....gulp...I'm British!

Papa

Paint some hasty Brit markings as if it was a captured model and being used as a test mule.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Wingnutz

Jack, I like your thinking but it's my Dad's (RAF 1942-46) model and I don't have the heart to ask permission to change it.

Papa

Then do it really authentic. Hand paint roundels etc. with acrylic paints and then you can wash them off later. Your dad would never know unless we take photo's and send them to him.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Gregor77

We should try to balance the odds a bit. The first time we did this it was all spitfires and hurricanes. Lol