Grumman Widgeon Build

Started by the giant, March 09, 2016, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the giant

A little more work is complete.  I'm going to have to make a run to the hobby shop to get some items that have to be built into the wing before getting much more sheeting done.  It is getting big fast!!!

the giant

Here's an update:  The wings are nearing covering.  I still have to build the tip floats and determine the best way to mount them so they are removable.  The nose of the plane will be a foam block.  Then the fuse is ready for fibreglassing.  The engine cowls are going to be made from fibreglass as well. It won't be ready for Kingston, but I see there is an attempt for a float fly at some other venues. 

Michael

Michael

piker

That's looks great, Andre.

We have plenty of float fly's scheduled for the summer.  I hope to see you at some... even before the Widgeon is ready.   :)

the giant

Work on the widgeon looks to have slowed but that is not the case.  The fuselage has been fiberglassed the finishing layer of resin must be applied and then begins the sanding process.  The other significant job has been the production of the fiberglass cowls.  These were made using a plug with a condom pulled over it.  The glass cloth and resin are applied in layers and then a second condom is pulled over all the cloth and resin.  With a roller, the bubbles are eliminated.  The first attempt left many imperfections because i did not have the rolling process at that point.  But the second two cowls turned our nearly flawless.  They may not be Fiberglass Specialties quality but most real aircraft surfaces have "waves" and ripples in them too.  I'm pretty please with the outcome. 

bweaver

The plane is coming along great and the cowls appear to be fantastic.  I am very interested in the technique used to make them.

If you get a chance to go into further detail on how the cowls were made, I would find it very helpful. I got lost at the second condom.  Is the second condom applied over a coat of wet resin and then rolled out? After that you apply resin and cloth on top of the second condom?

???

the giant

I pulled a condom over the foam mold.  Then i added the glass cloth and saturated it with the resin.  I happened to have 4 oz cloth, so i applied 3 layers to create a cowl with sufficient thickness to retain the shape well.  With all the cloth added, then another condom was pulled over it all.  This creates a smooth finish but it is imperative to squeeze out the air bubbles by rolling the whole set up. 
When the resin has curred (I leave it to cure for 12-18 hours.  The condoms simply peel away, from both the outside and the inside.  A lubricated condom seems to have enough lubricant to act as a release agent from the cured fiberglass.  It takes a little effort to release the finished product from the mold. 
There is excess cloth that hangs over the bottom edge of the form that must be cut away before the cowl can be pulled off.  I expect that the finished product should come up fairly well with a series of coats of primer and sanding to smooth out any minor imperfections.  And voila! 

bweaver

Thank you for the further explanation.  (It is funny how I misunderstood the time line of the process 'duh'.) This technique is a keeper.  I look forward to using it in the future.

Bigstik

Bigstik

Michael

I tried that technique on similar size cowls, but it just didn't work well.

I think my condoms were too big.
Michael

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Michael on June 16, 2016, 10:10:53 PM
I tried that technique on similar size cowls, but it just didn't work well.

I think my condoms were too big.

It's the quality of the condom that matters, not the size!!! ;D

the giant

I'm getting close to a test flight.

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Michael

Wow!

Who needs ARFs when you're a master builder !!!!
Michael

the giant

Just don't look too close.
I was hoping to get down to Mussleman's lake for the float fly on the 27th, but have since been "notified" that my daughter is going to be at a figure skating workshop with Brian Orser. 

Hopefully there will be something in September.