Catalina PBY 6 flying boat

Started by Michael, June 07, 2016, 06:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

Great work Michael. Looking forward to seeing her fly.
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

Progressing.

Michael

Michael

Almost done.

A few more touch ups, a few adjustments, battery placement, measure amp-draw and decide on props, throws, etc.

I moved the nacelles out about an inch each to allow for more prop clearance.

Michael

sihinch

BJROB

Nice looking plane, you did a awesome job.
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Michael

There's quite a bit of small things to be done, but for now, I'm going to finish the battery installation, balance and set the throws. I will then hang the plane up and leave it for flying, and only then, do more detail work.
Michael

octagon

Looks really spectacular Michael. Good job. Good idea too about seeing how it flies before spending hours detailing it.
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

I tested 3 sets of propellers.

9/6 2-blade APC electric props drew 26 amps at full throttle at the battery.
10/5.5 2-blade APC electric rotor/drone props drew 36 amps at full throttle at the battery.
9/7 3-blade Master-Airscrew props drew 35 amps at full throttle at the battery.

3-blades win because they look more scale.  ;D

Michael

piker

Wow!  The Cat looks fantastic!

Hey!  Where did you find those pilots, and what scale do you figure they represent?

Michael

Scale wingspan is 104 feet, so I figured approx. 6% for the height of a scale pilot.

Model wingspan is 72".
6% of 72" = approx. 4" or so.

I found nice 4" military figures at Walmart, cut them and glued them to a sheet of plastic, now mounted inside the canopy/battery hatch.
The location of the pilots inside the cockpit roughly looks like what I've seen on Google.
Michael

piker

Hmm..  O.K.  I need about 7" and 5".  I'll check out the toy section when I'm ready  ;D