Tiger Moth, mini, repair blog!

Started by Papa, December 30, 2013, 10:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

I had a ParkZone Tiger Moth at the Dome fly last night. My 8 year old grandson and 10 year old granddaughter maidened it under the watchful eye of their instructor Michael Rogozinsky. Both flew very well and I was a very proud old grandfather.

Some miner contact was made with a wall and the ground resulting in a loose motor, under carriage and Cabane. The under carriage and Cabane were easily CA'ed back in place but the motor was a different story. Mirv Gohn gave me the benefit of his experience so I cut the top of the cowl and removed it. The motor seemed to have been glued in with some cheap white silicone 'tub and tile' caulk.

I tried CA but it did not take and I managed to get a drop on the large gear. Fortunately God smiles on fumblers like me so the offending spot of glue fell off when I scraped it with a knife. I decided since I had it open I would put a drop of "3-in-1" oil on the gears and they run much quieter. I fell back on my old 'stand by' and used hot melt to fix the motor in place. This worked fine.

I painted the raw white edge of the cut cowl with some red acrylic and it looks like it might have be designed that way. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'm ready for another Dome Fly how about you?

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

Well, that was fixed fast!

It's a nice little airplane, and it flies very well; nearly 'hands-off' when trimmed right.

Your grandchildren are doing great, and I'm sure they'll be able to pilot a trainer though a few nice circuits this summer.
Michael

sihinch

I did a similar repair on my UM Trojan motor. And it's survived the test of time.

Congrats to the Grand Kids!

When's the next dome fly? Hint hint!

Michael

Michael

Bigstik

Looks as tho a great time was had by all. Does the Tiger Moth come with 'pilots'?

Bigstik
Bigstik

Papa

Yes but they need to be painted. I used Dollarama acrylics.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"