Flight training- now free of SAFE

Started by Frank v B, August 21, 2021, 04:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Due to the continuing and more dangerous mishaps with Horizon Hobbies SAFE enabled planes, from this Wednesday on we are happy to train you per normal provided the SAFE function is fully disabled inside your plane.... not just the transmitter.

If it cannot be disabled in the plane, we will supply you with a temporary regular 4 channel 2.4 gig receiver to use until you solo. We will then ask for it back or you can buy it at cost.

I have been teaching for exactly 30 years and have had 3 mishaps in all of those years until now.  In the past year I have been involved in at least a dozen crashes and one Fly-away, all because of SAFE enabled planes did not let me correct the error.  Also, in the past year, at least half the time when a new student has come to the field he could not see his plane fly due to SAFE issues.  Unacceptable in my eyes.  See my post on my opinion and accidents: https://temac.ca/smf/index.php?topic=8056.0

With this policy in place, we will be able to guarantee:
- you will see your plane fly on your first visit to the field.
- you can bring any plane and will test fly it for you if you wish...even if it is not the best plane for you.  Ask David Kates when he first showed up at the field with a little FliteTest Cub, saw it fly and realized himself it was the wrong trainer.  He can now fly anything with wings.
- I will still re-build any plane I damage when on the buddy box.

Each instructor can have his own point of view and can make his own decisions.  This is mine.

SAFE... is not!

Frank

ps: Thank you to John's Hobbies for a special deal on a basic 4 channel RX, Ken Wilton of GreatHobbies who has offered to put a deal together for RX's when we need them and Rob Dickinson who is donating 2 Orange receivers to the cause.  I have not approached Pinnacle or A&J yet but I am sure Ron, Nigel and Arden will support us as they always have.
We have 7-8 new students a year so we can make this work.

"Never trade luck for skill"

TonvM

Hi Frank,

Looks like you have full control now over the training sessions with the receivers.
But would it not be easier to have a club model setup for training and use that all the time.

Ton

Frank v B

Ton,

Thanks for your interest and your comments.

In my experience with 2 clubs who had a Club Trainer is that it doesn't work.  I have one but do not use it any more because an instructor becomes a complete baby-sitter for an adult learning how to fly.
- who charges the battery?
- who repairs the airplane when crashed or dinged?
- what are we teaching students about "responsibilty" and quality control.

In my experience, like raising kids (have 4), flight instruction works best when the responsibility rests with the student.  He has to charge the batteries, he has to bring the plane that works, he has to find the plane when it crashes, he picks up the pieces and handles or organizes the repair.

When two of my kids were racing we agreed on the departure time to the race venue.  They had to load the car, they had to bring all the equipment.  If they forgot something they would only do it once.  If the bikes shifted in the car and got scratched it was clear who did not do their job properly.

This morning I met a student at the field for a test flight.  He forgot his wing.  It did not affect my day at all.  I will guarantee you he will never forget it again.

The best part, one of our members read the post and this morning donated four 2.4 gig receivers to the cause.  This solution is a lot easier and cheaper than I thought.  Thank you Rob D.

Frank

ps: Ton lives in Holland and has been a friend of TEMAC for about 8 years ever since we had the club build with his RedEagle e-glider design. 

"Never trade luck for skill"

TonvM

hahahaha Frans its amazing how we thing alike.

Ton