Fly Fly 90mm Red Arrows Hawk

Started by Wingnutz, November 22, 2019, 01:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

SOCIALLY ISOLATED BUILDING...(isn't that pretty much the norm?)
With activity choices reduced to a socially isolated list, there's been more time to build....especially since the village where I live has been so hard hit by Covid-19...(photo one)
Spent much of my spare time today refinishing, installing and connecting up the rudder.
REFINISHING
Refinishing consisted of removing the blue paint of the old Red Arrows rudder scheme, (used sandpaper two sided taped to a paint stir stick...second photo) applying (after some surgery) Callie's current Red Arrows union jack rudder graphics, and painting the bits that were still wrong. The paint is all Home Depot sample left over from an earlier build. It doesn't match the supplied red, but this is not the time to risk a trip out to get a new  paint sample, so Covid red will have to do.
Callie's union jack graphics were a pretty good fit except they were designed to match the fuselage stripes of the current Red Arrows livery...these stripes are narrower on the old Red Arrows livery, which I realized when I tried to fit them...ergo the surgery.(photo three)
INSTALLING
I used 30min epoxy to glue the fin to the fuse, (applied the epoxy using a trowel from a jig-saw puzzle glue kit and part of an old credit card...(photo four).
CONNECTING UP
The Fly Fly model doesn't call for an operational rudder so the fin was hogged out for a 9g servo, wiring provided and control horn and linkage scrounged up out of the parts bin.
Shaping up...
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

GuyOReilly

Looks fantastic! 
Planning the maiden for... Oh yes, I forgot... too early in the morning and no coffee yet...
Have a great confinement day!
Guy

Wingnutz

The nose shape on Fly Fly's Hawk is just plain wrong. Wasn't really a huge surprise as the nose on the Fly Fly F-86 I built several years ago and the canopy frame were wrong too. To try to fix the F-86 I bought an aftermarket nose and repainted the canopy frame where it should have been.
For the Hawk, I rebuilt the nose.
Photo one shows the nose on a (actually three) full size Hawk.
Photo two shows the Fly Fly Hawk nose.
Photo three shows nose surgery waiting for the prosthetic nose to be installed and
Photo four shows the new nose waiting for paint. It's a piece of 0.040" PET G plastic cut to shape and epoxied into place.
Hopefully it does a better job capturing the character of the real Hawk.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

GuyOReilly

Great rhinoplasty!
Looking forward to seeing it take flight.
Guy