IMAC Basic Aerobatic Sequence

Started by thehaze, August 05, 2012, 09:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Dietrich

If the first two happen the third will follow. I guaranty this will make you a better pilot. The best way to become a better pilot is to stop flying around in circles and just practice something, anything each time you go out to fly. It can be as simple as just trying to fly a perfectly straight and level horizontal pass or vertical up line.

thehaze

I believe that's called flying with purpose.

I beginning to see a pattern that exists in this hobby for most pilots..

1. Training. (I just want to fly something and be able to bring it home in one piece)
2. Just got my wings (I want a warbird)
3. Intermediate, who thinks he's an expert (I want to go stupid fast)
4. Maturing (I need to bring some order to this chaos)

I'm not sure about steps 5 and beyond but flying IMAC sequences seems, for me anyway, a doorway to a more satisfying time at the field. For some this might be flying scale planes, or improving their building skills but I think most people get there.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

bfeist

I agree that it promises to be a new enjoyable challenge that will take a long time to take hold (in me at least).

I like your list of stages. I spent about 7 years at stages 1 & 2 just happy flying more and more confidently, doing silly things like flying an entire flight inverted, how many loops can I do, etc. I also stayed at stage 1 for even longer with helis. Stage 3 has lasted another 5 years after the first 7 for me but I'd say it isn't just speed, it's exploring all aspects of the hobby; soaring, pylon, composite FAI, scale, floats, etc. Checking it all out but not settling on anything. I dabbled in step 4 a bit with a brio but ultimately I thought it was boring. In hindsight I think I found it boring because it wasn't a challenging plane to fly--it's right in the middle of my stage 3 venn diagram--and I wasn't challenging myself to do the hard work of learning something like IMAC with it. My Revolver 70 is essentially an enormous brio. I'll keep it challenging this time by taking on my fingers and brain more than the plane, unlearning bad habits, putting the sim training time in, putting the field training time in, and hopefully coming out a better pilot for it.

Ben

Quote from: thehaze on August 11, 2012, 08:13:09 PM
I believe that's called flying with purpose.

I beginning to see a pattern that exists in this hobby for most pilots..

1. Training. (I just want to fly something and be able to bring it home in one piece)
2. Just got my wings (I want a warbird)
3. Intermediate, who thinks he's an expert (I want to go stupid fast)
4. Maturing (I need to bring some order to this chaos)

I'm not sure about steps 5 and beyond but flying IMAC sequences seems, for me anyway, a doorway to a more satisfying time at the field. For some this might be flying scale planes, or improving their building skills but I think most people get there.

Ededge2002

I have been flying for a long time and still enjoy seeing different types of flying and different types of aircraft. I love the challenge of learning to fly different aircraft properly. This new challenge is somthing I've wanted to pursue fora long time.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sts41

I have been practicing the first 4 moves on the sim...Took a while for me to get the 61" edge tamed down enough so that I could fly it...But I have them pretty good...Need to keep the plane on the same imaginary line, but it is hard with the field of view.

My HK order is in, and once I test the new ESC for the syncro, I will start testing the sport wing on the sync and see how these moves work in real life.

steve

Dave Dietrich