2015-53 TEMAC Tickler, Scratch Build Classes.

Started by Papa, September 15, 2015, 10:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

OK we are officially open for business.
Send me an e-mail telling me the class for which you wish to sign up.
Let me know what kit you are thinking of building.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Frank v B

My scratch build plane for the beginner/intermediate classes is the DonMcGovern Navigator flying boat.  It is about a .10 size plane.

Anyone seeking plans, I have made a collection of all the magazines donated to the club.  Let me know if you are interested in a particular type of plane.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

I would like to do the beginner class and I will be building from a plan. I've chosen the Tony Nijuis English Electric Lightning.

piker

Awesome!  I can't wait.  The building class was one of the highlights of each week last year.  It's so much fun to get together and gab about planes and building planes, and sharing in what each person is doing and learning over the winter makes the hobby so much more fun and the winter just fly by!

I'll be building the Dolphin flying boat in the advanced class, but I plan to attend the other class too, and maybe I'll pick a simple build that I can fit in the gaps of time over the winter.

Frank!  An AWESOME choice!  I have a Navigator that's been in the "recover" mode for a few years, but I hope to get it going again shortly, and of course we've seen Ken R's very nice Navigator.  I'm so excited you'll be getting into float flying  ;D

And Simon... the Lightning?  Awesome!

Oh... one little bit of information for those who have not attended before.  If you get to the Restaurant before 7:00, we'll be upstairs having dinner... usually toward the back of the restaurant.  Meet everyone there... even if you're not eating...

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

fasteddie

I am interested but I would welcome suggestions for a model.
Frank, That Navigator flying boat looks interesting. Could you email me the plans and bill of material.
Thanks
Ed
Aera et terram imperare

Wingnutz

Okay, I'm in! I'd like to build either a CL-215 water bomber(Rob, do you have plans?) or a Douglas Dolphin ...or an Avro Vulcan or...okay, almost anything scale!
I don't care which class I'm in as long as Frank and Jack are part of it!
BTW, Frank and Jack, Thanks for doing this...is this the fourth season already? ;)

DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Hey Bill.  My plans for my 215 are LONG gone.  I gave them to Brian Gillian in the late '90's.  Colin would have a set that he used, but why not build the Dolphin with us.  It'll be a cool plane!

Rudie-VE3

Hello TEMAC members, I was invited by my wayward brother in crime and the guy who showed me an new avenue to spend more money on flying, (Frank VB) to join this form!  We (the Beeton R\C Flyers) started doing a winter kit build to get members of the couch over the winter!  Last year we build 8 Sea Darts (6 have been flown so far).  This winter its a Great Planes Taylor Craft (I think it's 12 folks now) with half converting to electric and probably floats).  There is also two of us building the Don McGovern/Jetco Navigator, a kit I had as a kid.  We have the ribs and fuse formers cut and ready to glue!  I will be providing Frank the 2 sets (you need the two plans to get all the parts) of blown up plans along with rib/fuse cut templates.  Frank also mentioned some had interest in the Sea Dart, I can also provide you with the templates (cut from bristal board) for the Depron over lay to speed your cutting process along with the cutting sequence.  I will need these back!!
Our club does a lot of float flying as we have access to a 60 some acre pond ....you can check the link below to see this years Corn Cob float fly and a Sea Dart in action! Best Regards ALL .............Rudie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHOGVwDvo0g

piker

Hey Rudie!  Thanks for getting involved and sharing the designs and the great video.

The Corn Cob Float Fly looks fantastic.  I've been meaning to get out to that for a couple of years now but haven't been able to make it happen (I assume it's open to pilots outside your club...?)  I will plan to attend next summer, hopefully with some other guys from our float flying group.

The Sea Dart looks cool.  I hope Greg builds one with your offer of the templates.

battlestu

Hi Rudy... i would be interested in the Sea Dart!... Do you have a build log on your forum? (i did a quick check but didn't see anything unless i need to register)

Also did anyone try to use two EDF fan units? or were 8 Sea Darts prop planes?

Thank you!
Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

fasteddie

Simon
Good choice on the English Elecrtic lightning. I worked on those aircraft in the 1960's. It will be a challenge to fly.
Aera et terram imperare

fasteddie

I would like to do the beginner class.
I will be working from a plan.
Since this is my first I will not get too ambitious, I have chosen a Cessna 120 scale.
I will be away on October 21 so I cannot make the first night. I understand, however that October 21 will be for repairs. Please let me know if this will be a problem.
I am assuming that the participants will be providing their own materials, supplies, tools etc.
Looking forward to it
Ed
Aera et terram imperare

Rudie-VE3

The Corn Cob float fly is open to all clubs!  We post the date in the MAAC mag and on our Facebook site! 

Regarding the Dart, no we did not do a build forum, we put together layout instructions to help cut out the templates from the depron and minimize foam waste!  We got it down to 1 and 1/2 sheets!  There is also a set of the build sequence and I can get a copy of those as well! We also changed the Dart a bit, the original model had a profile fuse, we made additional templates to make a built up fuselage .....looks a little nice!

I hope this give you more info!

Regards .............Rudie

Frank v B

Rudie,

The solution is very simple.  You are coming to our first Pilots Meeting, show us the Dart and give a brief talk on your build class experience.  Yours truly will pay for your dinner. Then guys like Greg and Bill can cross-examine you.

Frank

ps: for those who do not know Rudie, he was one of my instructors when I first learned how to fly in 1987(ish).  He helped us out in the first Ryerson presentation.  He is VP of the Beeton Club.  His wife allows him to participate in modelling since her hobby is more expensive than his (horses).
"Never trade luck for skill"