DH 89 - Dragon Rapide...okay, so my dad built it!

Started by Wingnutz, February 04, 2013, 06:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

For the past four years, my dad (90 this May) and I have gotten together at a pub near his house for Monday lunches. He buys lunch...I feed him model airplane kits and parts and occasionally help with wiring and setup. Here's his latest build started last summer and ready for a really calm warm evening. It started out as a Dumas kit but dad got so frustrated with the stick and tissue fuse he constructed the fuse out of depron. Model is 42" WS and uses 2x 1230 4200kv inrunners with counter rotating props. My knees are already knocking as I'm supposed to be the pilot. At lunch today I gave him a Dare Engineering kit for a Macchi M5.
Sorry for the photo quality...lighting wasn't great and my dumb phone has no flash.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Ededge2002

You must tell him it looks great from me. How many lunches would it cost to get one?

Great story to boot
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Wingnutz

sihinch

That's a wonderful model, Bill. You're Dad's a craftsman!

And I love the story. Makes you feel good (before starting a course on six sigma and applied statistics!)

S

piker

Very nicely done!  The Dragon Rapide and Dragon are unique looking planes.

BTW, Bill, I was poking around youtube yesterday and came cross a video of your Sparrow Hawk flying in a gym.  Do you still have that plane?  It too, is gorgeous!

Robert

Wingnutz

Rob, re the Miles Sparrowhawk..gonna fly it this weekend. (indoors) It's a Ken Coleman inspired scratch built with PZ micro Mustang electrics. Mine was built a bit bigger (27"WS) than Ken's (24or25" WS)and has ailerons. Ken prefers elevator/rudder.