Mixing digital and analog servos?

Started by Wingnutz, May 02, 2013, 10:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

"Can I mix digital and analog servos on the same model?"
Shopping for HK servos for an ARF I'm assembling and need high torque low profiles for the ailerons and strong standards for the rudder and elevator.
Low profiles I can only afford in analog but the standard digitals are reasonably priced. Advice appreciated.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Ededge2002

Yes you can mix analog and digital servos PROVIDED you are not using a dedicated "high speed mode" that is available with some transmitter/receiver systems.  The high speed mode will overheat and damage the analog servos.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Ededge2002 on May 02, 2013, 11:03:42 AM
Yes you can mix analog and digital servos PROVIDED you are not using a dedicated "high speed mode" that is available with some transmitter/receiver systems.  The high speed mode will overheat and damage the analog servos.

Hmm!  Does that make them puff?!!  :)

Andy

Ededge2002

Puff of smoke quite possibly but it would be up to the NTSB to identify that was the cause of the crash...

Bobmic

I thought you need a high speed receiver in addition to the Transmitter in order to get the frame rate to 11ms (or in your case 7ms).
I wouldn't think the speed will be much of an issue unless the servos are really slow or sloppy.
For sure, using a regular servo on a high rate system will eventually burn them but the problem is usually with Gyro's that run in the range of 250-300Hz which is 3ms and is constantly correcting the servo.

As for mixing up servos.... as far as I know the DX8 has a higher frame rate speed but I doubt you are using the high speed receiver and I don't think there will be any issue, in any case if there is a problem the servo will start to jitter.

Wingnutz

I'll probably use an Orange receiver and satellite with a DX8 transmitter. I haven't played with frame rates so after reading the preceding posts I think the answer is yes.???
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Ededge2002

Yes the answer is a resounding yes.