Widgeon Refreshed

Started by davidk, February 21, 2022, 04:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

The Widgeon was looking a little tired and she was a bit tough to see some days so she got a fresh coat of paint.

electroflyer

Michael

And it flies as good as ever, except easier to see.

Michael

Michael

4 yellow and red planes on the ground at TEMAC today. Add Peter's yellow and red Beaver (not shown), and that makes 5 at the field today.
Michael

Gregor77

We were there earlier in the morning! It was perfect but still a bit cold.

msatin

Very nice Dave.
Maybe a dumb question - did you spray or brush?
You never fail until you stop trying

davidk

Good question.  You can do both, but because it's too cold to spray outside and you get divorced when spraying inside... I brushed.  I thought about it... but I brushed.

Michael and Glenn told me about Home Depot Behr paint samplers.  They are an enamel-like finish acrylic paint and primer.  It says on the label "Interior/Exterior Semi-Gloss Enamel"... but they actually mean "Enamel-like Finish"... they were just too cheap to use a couple of extra words that would clear up a tons of questions.  They come in 207ml jars and Home Depot will mix any colour.

I used 2 coats of the base white flat to cover all the blue, silver and black.  Then one coat of the yellow and 2 of the red.  Yellow covers well enough... probably could have used a second coat but you can't really tell.  Red did not cover as well so had to put on 2 coats.  I bought a couple of packs of foam brushes from the dollar store.  I used green Frog tape for masking and used a small dental tool to press down the edges a bit... and always removed the tape when the paint was wet.  It never lifted the yellow or red paint from the white coat.  But on the Seabee I just painted, since it was white foam, I did not have to use a base coat... and the tape lifted paint from the foam... so I couldn't mask and just brushed a bit more carefully.

All the paint added about 3oz to the overall weight but you cannot tell in flight.

msatin

Thanks for info Dave - Really well done on the SeeBee as well!
You never fail until you stop trying

Michael

It looks so much better in the air, I painted mine too!

About 3 ounces heavier.
Michael

GordPayne

Love the paint colour homage to the Canadair CL-215 water bombers.

Can you make it bomb spectators with Vodka?

Would really bring folks out to the field!😀
Old Buttonville proverb,"If you have to hit the fence, hit the far fence, not the near fence."