Flyzone Scale Seawind Amphibious seaplane

Started by Oscar, November 09, 2015, 04:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

???  :'(
Sorry to hear about going in.  Hopefully you can repair it.

octagon

Sorry about the crash Oscar. What rx did you have? Was it DMS2 or DSMX? Spectrum?
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

It appears you were flying downwind (with the wind).

Were you flying slowly?

Michael

Oscar

Just over 1/2 throttle. There was no wind that morning.  Lemon R/X full range with Satellite in DSMX.  Same R/x in B-17, Skymule.  Radio is Spektrum RX9. 

Michael

If there was no wind, then my concern about a downwind stall are wrong.

I don't know why you crashed.
Michael

Wingnutz

Oscar, FWIW, my two cents worth based on the zoomed  video and four years flying Electrifly's Seawind...
I think Michael was hasty dismissing his stall theory...to me, what I can see looks like a spin which starts with a stall of one wing...usually precipitated by flying too slowly...easy to do when the  downwind model speed you see is much higher than the airspeed the model experiences.  You said there was no wind, but at the model's altitude, there was probably more than on the ground...how much more? Significant enough to fool an experienced RC pilot like you? On a maiden flight, maybe.
My Seawinds (I've had two) are not relaxing models to fly...once they start to roll, they do not self correct and the roll will increase if not corrected with control inputs. I've never spun the model on purpose but suspect it would not self correct like many models do when control sticks are released.
Maybe it's the fact the motor's mass is so much higher than the CG that causes the model to be an enthusiastic roller but whatever the cause of the problem, my practise when flying my Seawind is to follow Michael's "How Not To Crash" lecture advice...keep the model in close where orientation is less of a problem...AND correct or control roll as soon as you encounter it.
Good luck with the rebuilt model!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Oscar

Thank you everyone.  Lesson learnt.  :-[

I will get the plane repair.  :)

Frank v B

Oscar.... sorry to hear/see.  Please send me a photo of the pieces so I can help you rebuild it or at least offer some advice.  If it is even remotely re-buildable and you do not feel up to it, I will do it for you.

One thing to add to the Michael/Nutz* explanation.  The prop is a tractor and is fitted to the tail.  That means elevator/rudder inputs will be OK while the prop is spinning but there is no prop wash over the wings at all.  This affects both lift and aileron control dramatically.  The problem is that since you keep distinct elevator and rudder control you forget that the wings/ailerons are becoming ineffective.

This plane should be treated as a jet (no wash over any tail surfaces) and needs to land hot.  This plane has a lot of volume and, I suspect, little weight so it would slow down quickly and dramatically.  Much like those of us who have dented the earth with the E-Flite Brio 10. If you ever came near the ground and throttled back or shut off the motor, it would lose speed so fast that it would flutter into the ground.  Trust me.  I did it twice!... just to make sure I was stupid! ;D

I had a similar scare with Malcolm's little flying boat that had a pusher prop on a pylon at the trailing edge of the wing.  Elevator inputs were always sensitive but aileron control was scary when throttling back.  I came in hot every time because it was a small plane. That probably saved it.... without me knowing it.

I learned something today.  Thanks Oscar.

Frank

* as opposed to Nutz/Michael which would be disrespectful to one of my friends. :D
"Never trade luck for skill"

Oscar

Thank you Frank. That's very kind of you.  Here are the photos I taken this morning.

Frank v B

Oscar,

Fixable!!  Your shop or mine?

Frank

ps: don't forget to put it in a corner of your shop so the plane can start fixing itself.  :D Guaranteed the damage is less than you think.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on December 19, 2015, 04:34:08 PM
Oscar,

Fixable!!  Your shop or mine?

Frank

ps: don't forget to put it in a corner of your shop so the plane can start fixing itself.  :D Guaranteed the damage is less than you think.

Flyable after Frank adds 5 pounds of 5-minute epoxy?!!!  ;D

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

re:  "Flyable after Frank adds 5 pounds of 5-minute epoxy?!!!" ;D

Oh, Ye of little faith!

Frank

ps: so a few pounds of epoxy will send Oscar on a whole new adventure.  Onderzee Boot U-81.  His camera will capture a whole new world a la Jacques Cousteau. ;D

Oscar

Thank you Frank.  Please give me some advise and I will give a shot.  I think that's the best way to learn.   ;)

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on December 19, 2015, 08:24:14 PM
Andy,

re:  "Flyable after Frank adds 5 pounds of 5-minute epoxy?!!!" ;D

Oh, Ye of little faith!

Frank

ps: so a few pounds of epoxy will send Oscar on a whole new adventure.  Onderzee Boot U-81.  His camera will capture a whole new world a la Jacques Cousteau. ;D

I scuba dive too!  Want to join me to watch Oscar's deep pass?!!  :D

Andy